What tackle companies retooled for WWII war effort?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

What tackle companies retooled for WWII war effort?

Post by Richard Lodge »

Hi folks: In working on research about fly tier Rube Cross I'm looking for a couple examples of fishing reel, rod or general tackle manufacturers that retooled to make goods for the war effort, starting in 1941. I know Pflueger (Enterprise) retooled the Medalist fly reels for use to hold antenna wires in the field. Any other specific retooling you are aware of? If they were Rhode Island-based companies (or at least based in New England), even better. Thanks for your help!
Richard
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Re: What tackle companies retooled for WWII war effort?

Post by Roger Schulz »

Meisselbach Mfg Company did also I believe.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks, Roger. Do you know what they made during the war and where?
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

My favorite story of WWII manufacturing switchover is that of the Geo W. Gayle company as told in the TRN 2017 Vol 1.
Clarence’s reputaJon as a craftsman enabled him to receive multiple government contracts during World War II. This manufacturing activity lasted about three years and was quite profitable for Geo. W. Gayle & Son. The end of the war saw Clarence returning his business back to fishing reel making.

The Louisville Courier-Journal ran a feature arJcle on Sept. 16, 1945 about Clarence and his business. It gave details about his business and its apparent success. The arJcle stated that prior to that Jme he was making about 100,000 “Simplicity” reels a year. That stopped when the US entered WWII. Gayle began making components for various defense contractors to support the war effort. To date, he had made more than 30,000 parts of 20 different types, employing 22 men and seven women.

Clarence Gayle was again featured in an artcle in the April 1946 The Kentucky Sportsman written by D.T. Caywood. The artcle describes how Clarence had a grudge against the Japanese. Apparently, a company in Japan was copying his “Simplicity” reel in the 1930s and was able sell them to retailers far below his selling price. The “Simplicity” fly reel was Clarence’s bread and buVer. He was making more profit from large sales quanJJes of his cheaper reel than from the $100 to $300 custom reels. So Clarence entered the war effort not only as a natural patriot, but also with a vengeance. The fact that his son Lt. Col. Frank Coburn Gayle and two of his grandsons were in the service had to also be in Clarence’s thoughts. He was happy to make components under government contract and made a good living at it. The arJcle tells about his use of a lathe, originally used by the Kentucky reelmakers more than 100 years ago. ORCA member Currey Gayle wrote an arJcle about this lathe in the May 2005 issue of The Reel News.
The article goes on to tell the tale of the Gayle contribution to the atomic bomb parts.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Both Fin-Nor and Tycoon did !! John Taylor
cwfly-2
Big ORCA Fan

Post by cwfly-2 »

both Orvis and Montague in New England.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thank you, folks. I appreciate it. And thanks for pointing me to that 2017 RN, Matt. I browsed through a few copies but didn't go deep. I thought I'd try this "crowd sourcing" route first and maybe come up with some really obscure and interesting instances of retooling.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Granger could not get any government contracts and went out of business during the war. Foreman Bill Philipson went to work at a Denver munitions factory, and after the war started the Philipson Rod Company.
Shakespeare made parts for the Norden Bomb Sight and Kalamazoo Tackle Co made flexible controls.
Shakespeare won two of the Army/Navy E Awards for excellence.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

The list in enormous. Ocean City, Bronson, and Heddon all won awards for their war work. Tycoon built the struts on the F4U Corsair. I have folders of data on tackle and the war effort, one day I'll have to put it all together. Incredible story.

-- Dr. Todd
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Horton Mfg. Co. was also a significant contributor to the war effort. I have some details stashed away in my research, guessing that Dr. Todd also has that information.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

As noted, Heddon received Army commendations for its effort during WW II.

Link: http://www.antiquefishinglures.com/award.htm

I believe Heddon made telescoping antennas —which production arose from the company’s early ability to produce steel golf club shafts.

Link to a previous discussion on this topic:

viewtopic.php?p=107569&hilit=Golf#p107569
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Here's another thread on related subject:

viewtopic.php?t=5144&hilit=norden
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info and links here. Brian, your link to an early ReelTalk thread highlights the writing Phil White did years ago on this topic, which is much appreciated.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

No single company made the Norden Bomb Sight. It was top secret, and many companies were contracted to make a specific part. The manufacturers didn’t even know what they were making the parts for.
The various parts from these many manufacturers were sent to a central US Government arsenal for assembly.
Government contracts were highly prized because the government guaranteed a profit to the manufacturers.
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Check out the book "Angling and War" by Mike Rivkin.
-Chris R.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Richard,

Langley produced many aircraft parts during WWII. I. M. Laddon (later president of Langley) designed three of the most famous WWII planes, the PBY Flying Boat, the Coronado and the Liberator. Two of his Design Patents are attached. We covered these efforts extensively in the Langley Book.

Alan

Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks for the details, Alan. Lots of interesting WWII-era involvement by tackle and reel manufacturers.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Lots of interesting WWII-era involvement by tackle and reel manufacturers.
"What tackle and reel mfrs were not involved in the war effort?" would be a tougher question, IMHO.

And here's a fun read.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
BCharles
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BCharles »

I believe Hardy Bros. made the brass gun button used in the Spitfire.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Ashaway Line & Twine, in Rhode Island, made those roll-up emergency fishing kits that turn up now and then.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

I agree with Steve, almost all of the tackle companies were involved in the War effort. I thought Richard's initial idea was which companies re-tooled their own product for a different use, not which companies made things for the War effort. The example he cites is a modification of a reel to change from a retrieving fishing line to retrieving antenna wire. Same product but different use. Perhaps Richard can clear up this point.

One example might be Shakespeare's switch from making fishing rods to making ski poles for the armed forces where skis were used.

Langley's first fly reel was supposedly used by frogmen but we have not been able to verify this. No doubt there are other examples where the product was modified to help in the War. What are they?

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

thanks for the note, Colby. I was sort of looking for companies that retooled to turn an existing product into someone for the war effort, but there were a lot of great examples of all types that were offered. I am all set with what I need and thank you to everybody for pitching in.
Richard