Evolution of the mechanical level wind

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Evolution of the mechanical level wind

Post by Steve »

If anyone is interested, I've posted a two-part article from the two 1994 issues of the NFLCC Magazine that describes the early history of the level wind and the different styles that were developed well into the 20th century. It even contains a level wind "family tree." You can read it on my website. It was a fun project in collaboration with Dudley Murphy, the editor at the time.

Feel free to suggest info we've added to reel lore in the last twenty-eight years. And FYI, there are other articles there that may be of interest.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Evolution of the mechanical level wind

Post by John Savu »

I still remember reading these articles for the first time, 28 years ago. Your research and writings , have added a great deal to my understanding of the development of the reel. Thanks to you, Steve !! :bow:
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Your own research and posts, not to mention our years of chats at shows, have deepened my appreciation and knowledge of Redifor and the folks who made it a success. So thanks to you, John!! :bow:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Absolutely brilliant article. Very interesting indeed. Looking forward to re-reading it this weekend.

(As an aside, i can mention that an engineer at one of the big reel companies was recently working on a new levelwind unit. So I guess it ain’t over yet)
Robert Janssen
Sweden
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Thanks, Dr. Rob. I'm sure you noticed that some details of company histories are incorrect or need to be updated with info that has been published in the last three decades by many other reel researchers. And I wish I'd known at the time who probably invented the basic mechanisms used in both the Palmer and first Shakespeare level winds. :shock:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Then there's the super-sized versions.

https://youtu.be/uxdTEd6WWFg

I wonder how long levelwinds have been on boats?
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Brian, that LP thing has a familiar LW, but the Youtube thing is chain-driven, without the use of a multiple-return cylinder. I once got a call from an engineer at Carnegie Mellon U., who wanted some thoughts on what might be the best kind of LW for a tether attached to a robot on the Martian surface. Needless to say, I was no help at all, though I kinda liked the idea of a spiral LW because of its simplicity.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Haha, oh how vastly you overestimate me, Steve.

No, i’m afraid i have little to offer by way of enlightenment, except perhaps a little about the Rainbow 888.
Firstly and coincidentally, the Rainbow company was located right over there (you can’t see me, but i am pointing out my living room window). I have dug around a bit to see what traces might remain of it, but never actually been there. I should do that someday.
Secondly, i recently learned, or my understanding of it anyway, is that the reel’s pivotal motion wasn’t mechanically driven, but was spring-biased towards one side. The angler using it would nudge the reel with his thumb, causing the reel to varingly pivot off-axis as needed.
Or, that was one version of it anyway.

About levelwinds in general, the same infinite screw design is used all over the place. I noticed one on a helicopter rescue winch a while back.

Who invented it, idunno… it might even be like, Da Vinci level inventing. But more modernly, it is going to be from the rope and textile industry, industrial revolution, cotton gin kind of thing i suspect.

Very interesting in any case.

Robert Janssen
Sweden
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks for posting this fascinating history. Just excellent.

BTW: The spiral LW was reintroduced in the US Reels Supercaster in the early 2000’s.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Dr. Rob, I don't remember having to nudge anything to make the Rainbow reel wiggle, but that was a long time ago.

Here are the earliest U.S. patents I could find for anything using a multiple-return cylinder. And yes, two were designed for cotton rope-making and yarn-winding, but one was a printing press. The invention of the mechanism has been attributed to a Scottish inventor named Napier, who first used it for printing presses. These "double-screw" presses were developed further in the U.S.

Paul, thanks for the kind words...and for reminding us that there is nothing new under the sun, despite advertising to the contrary.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels