Yankee Clipper help!!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
BigCountry1986
Big ORCA Fan

Yankee Clipper help!!

Post by BigCountry1986 »

I was in an antique store by my house and found this rod in perfect condition, The handle is marked Yankee clipper and to me looks to be made by possibly true temper. I cannot find any Rods similar to this or any information on this specific rod, as all yankee rods i have seen in the past are fly rods. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Yankee Clipper help!!

Post by Eric J »

I was told that Yankee Clipper rods were made in Detroit and the Paul Young fiberglass rods were made by Yankee Clipper and Harnell.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Welcome Bigcountry. I noticed you have some trouble posting an image. You have to upload and insert in your post using these instructions. viewtopic.php?t=15596
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
BigCountry1986
Big ORCA Fan

Post by BigCountry1986 »

Matt, thank you.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

That’s a beaut. Don’t know who made it.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

Great condition on your rod! I had a Yankee Clipper fly rod once. It looked like an early Fenwick with spiral wraps, like yours. Understand they were made in late 50's and 60's by Yankee Rod Co. at a plant in the northern suburbs of Detroit. You can go to the Fiberglass Flyrodders site and do a search for "Yankee Clipper" and learn more about these rods.
BigCountry1986
Big ORCA Fan

Post by BigCountry1986 »

I have looked at a few forums, most of the information available is on the fly rods. I will say that the action on this rod is beautiful for a two piece. I have been playing with it with the 1985 akron attached and the combo is proving to be a sweet casting setup. When the waters here in Central Florida fall some i will be using it to try to catch a little topwater action.