Unusual J Conroy reel on E-bay

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Unusual J Conroy reel on E-bay

Post by Reelman2 »

I don't follow Fly reels as a usual practice but thought this reel was interesting. Perhaps those with more knowledge of Fly reels can shed some light on it. It has no foot and appears to be made to screw into a hole of a pole. I suppose the foot was broken off and they fixed it so it could still be used. But it appears it was manufactured that way. I am no expert so you tell me. I tried to post a picture but was told it was not a good file so please check out the e-bay posting for pics.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Unusual J Conroy reel on E-bay

Post by Steve »

IMHO, the reel may have been "customized" with a spike, perhaps in the Conroy shop itself. Typical blurry ebay pics don't help matters. It looks as if the "foot" part of a one-piece cast foot/crossbridge has been cut off, and the bottom of the crossbridge was adapted to hold the spike.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Unusual J Conroy reel on E-bay

Post by klonder »

Or to be screwed on to what we land surveyors call a "Jacob's Staff" commonly used with surveyors compasses for quick, rough work way back then. Could have been modifided to hold a line/wire for distance measurement.