Centaure drag washers

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Gandy man
Big ORCA Fan

Centaure drag washers

Post by Gandy man »

I just recently discovered this forum, and was hoping someone may be able to help me out.

I just purchased a Centaure spinning reel off of Ebay at a spectacular price, 15$! Based on info I found on Google, I believe it is a "pre-patent" model as there is no serial number, only the trout/centaure plate on the non-handle side, and the "centaure" manufacture abreviations/made in france below it. It appears to be the "Pacific" size. The reel is in good cosmetic condition (minor scuffs and scratches), and near perfect mechanical condition.

The mechanical issues come down to missing drag washers. The reel is missing the metal internal tab and felt washer that go under the drag knob, and the leather washer that rides under the spool. I have made leather washers for other vintage reels, and there are several options for felt washers online. Are there any recommendations for internal tab washers? Perhaps recommendations on upgrading the drag washers altogether; carbon fiber or delrin?

I tried uploading photos but I am "technologically challenged." The files are too big and I don't know how to resize them.

I'd love to get this reel running and put it up against some big reds and maybe a tarpon down in south Texas.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Centaure drag washers

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Finding NOS washers for those are like trying to find hens teeth. Your best option is going to be crafting them yourself. The felt and leather washers are easy, but if you plan on fishing it and don't plan on keeping it original carbon fiber is a great option. I've been forced to make a lot of keyed metal washers. It's not that difficult if you have the right mini files, a small rat tail and a small triangular file.

Find the appropriate size stainless steel washer with a smaller center hole than the main shaft it has to fit over and start filing. Just be patient. You may also have to file down the outside diameter of the SS washer you choose, but that's not really a big deal.

Good luck, take your time and you should be fine.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Gandy man
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gandy man »

With all the custom stuff I've done working on reels, and building rods, I didn't even think of making my own custom metal washer. I've got a bunch of different size/shaped files. I may just give this a shot. What do you think about buying the proper size washer and then soldering a "tab" to it? Could it work?

I'm not really worried about keeping it 100% original, more interested in making it serviceable and reliable. I'll look into ordering several different thickness carbon fiber washers and see how they work out.

Thanks for the info!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

You may find it helpful to use the search feature to look at previous postings on this topic search.php?keywords=drag+washer&terms=a ... mit=Search
To resize a photo in Windows, use the windows photo editor. If it is not on your system, you can download it for free. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 99048a2c86

Just opening and saving a jpg image will reduce its size due to the jpeg compression. You may have to crop some images.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle