Raised Pillar Reel ID

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Raised Pillar Reel ID

Post by flysupplies »

Anyone know this reel? Marked MADE IN U.S.A. on front plate and 150 under foot. Spins like a top. Fine clicker. Tapered pillars. Wood knob. Better fit & finish quality than usual. Thanks

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Raised Pillar Reel ID

Post by john elder »

Probable Pfl foot? Or Hendryx? Can you add a pic showing the foot pls?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Underlined yardage mark suggests this was made under Winchester or Horrocks-Ibbotson ownership.
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

I think you are correct. Ron Gast's Winchester page says it's an unmarked version. He even has the 1924 catalog page showing the reel with same early shaped handle. Model 2644. Why there are some with made in usa stamp only and no Winchester stamp is beyond me.
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

They probably sold the Winchester stamped reels in the Winchester stores and the USA stamped reels are trade reels.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

BILL HOERTER wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:33 pm They probably sold the Winchester stamped reels in the Winchester stores and the USA stamped reels are trade reels.
That’s an excellent point, Bill. This article indicates that starting in 1919, Winchester opened independent sporting goods stores after purchasing Simons Hardware. They continued for about a decade.

https://centerofthewest.org/2018/12/16/ ... the-1920s/

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

BILL HOERTER wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:33 pm They probably sold the Winchester stamped reels in the Winchester stores and the USA stamped reels are trade reels.
+1. I've had Winchester trade rods marked with "Made in USA " only.