Mitchell 406 rubbing noise

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Mitchell 406 rubbing noise

Post by Phil M. »

Just finished total cleaning and lubing a 406. With no spool on the axle, I start cranking the reel and when the axle reaches its most rearward position, I hear a slight rubbing noise. The noise is magnified when I point the axle tip toward the ceiling and crank the handle. Have checked many things and still it persists. This is a planamatic axle control like the 408. Any ideas?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Mitchell 406 rubbing noise

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Are you sure you located all the shims when you disassembled it? Sometimes they get lost in the grease or stick together. Also, did you get them all back in the correct/same locations as they were originally? Mitchells are notorious for trial and error shimming.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Mitchell 406 rubbing noise

Post by Phil M. »

Tommy: Thanks for the reply. I have a 306 and this 406 here and the only shims on them are external, on the end of the handle facing the main gear (actually, a thrust washer). I think there are no adjustments for the fore/aft travel of the axle, except replacing parts.