A Surprise Pre-1910 Shakespeare Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

A Surprise Pre-1910 Shakespeare Reel

Post by David Lehmann »

At Frankfort, I added this Shakespeare reel to my collection. It's an early (pre-1910) Shakespeare Crescent, which was first listed in the 1910 catalog. It doesn't show up in the 1909 or earlier catalogs. It has the typical faceplate (William Shakespeare Jr., Kalamazoo Mich.) and foot stampings ("60 YDS." in small font along the edge) one expects to see in the pre-1910 reels. The reel name is stamped on the tailplate within a crescent border.

This makes me wonder if there are other reels that Shakespeare was manufacturing before 1910 but didn't catalog or advertise until later.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: A Surprise Pre-1910 Shakespeare Reel

Post by RonG »

That's a nice looking reel I hadn't seen before. The reels with hard rubber in the end plates makes them look interesting to a fisherman and he thinks it will undoubtedly catch more fish.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

RonG wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:12 pm That's a nice looking reel I hadn't seen before. The reels with hard rubber in the end plates makes them look interesting to a fisherman and he thinks it will undoubtedly catch more fish.
Mind-set and confidence can be two of the major aspects of a successful fisher person. :fished
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Pretty little reel. I too like those rubber plates.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024