Shimano Calais200A vibration

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Shimano Calais200A vibration

Post by Stunt Fisher »

When I saw Phil M’s question about the rubbing noise I thought I’d ask about my reel with a somewhat similar issue.

I inherited my dad’s Shimano Calais CL200A and it worked well for years. I decided to replace all the bearings and give it a good once over. I put it all back together and when I tighten the cast control knob, I feel – and hear - a slight vibration. The tighter I turn the knob the worse the vibration becomes. I disassembled the reel several times to look for anything that may cause this, but I don’t see anything obvious. In fact, now it’s worse than when it first occurred. The vibration I feel makes me think that the teeth on the main gear aren’t meshing, but I don’t see anything wrong with that gear. Also, the vibration is constant as I turn the crank. Conversely, after I tighten the cast control knob to make the vibration happen, it will diminish when I loosen the turnkey spool access on the side plate. So, it appears that when I adjust pressure to the spool from either side the vibration changes.

If anyone has any thoughts on what might be causing this I’d sure like to hear them. I really like this reel and it holds great sentimental value for me. I’d hate to have to put this on the shelf.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Shimano Calais200A vibration

Post by Paul Roberts »

Could the new bearings be slightly larger than the originals? Maybe swap the old ones back in to check if the new bearings may be the culprit. Sounds like something isn’t getting back into place right.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+1
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Not sure if I have the old bearings to swap back out, so it will be difficult to compare old vs new. I can try to re-seat all bearings. If I still have issues I can order new bearings.

This sounds like as good a place to start as any. Thanks for your quick response.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Whenever I take down a reel, I have my camera on a tripod by the bench.
I move it over and take a series of macros - bread crumbs to find my way back.

they also become valuable in discussions, or simply providing context if you have a question like this one.
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Thanks Ron. I do the same thing. Pictures have saved my hide a few times. My phone is full of pictures of reels I've broken down over the years - literally hundreds of pics. I also try to hunt down schematics for all my reels, whether I'm taking them apart or not. It's only a matter of time before I do have them apart. I didn't have any issues getting this one back together and it's not the first time I've replaced bearings in it. It is the first time I've had this problem with any reel, which is why I was a little puzzled as to what may have happened.

Thanks again!