Member List

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Member List

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Where do you find the member listing on this Website? Thanks, " Old and not computer Literate" Jon Kring
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Member List

Post by Steve »

Jon, go to the ORCA Home Page and select the Member Services tab.
From the dropdown menu, make sure you're logged in as a club member first, then select Members Only Area.
Select ORCA Member Directory 2022.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Thanks. Need all the help I can get!
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Hmmmm, I go there but don't see a member list.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Brian, you have to be facing your computer screen. :type:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Even dummy me found it!!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Here's an observation that might have something to do with Brian's difficulty. On the ORCA Home Page, there are 8 "tabs" just below the club logo. They include "Home" to "My Account," left to right. If I switch the window from "full screen" to maybe 75% or less than full screen, those tab labels disappear. However, they reappear in a column, rather than a row, if you click on the 3-line menu logo in the top-right of the page. Strange phenomenon, IMHO, but one that might account for some folks having trouble navigating, except when viewing full screen. I have no idea what goes on with these images on tablet, phone, or Apple screens.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Its good to see ORCA Members getting used to the new Member's Area and helping others to access that. It will continue to be the place for exciting new content we hope to launch soon. It is the only place to get an updated membership directory. If anyone has trouble accessing it, please contact me.

The behavior that Steve points out on the site is a standard for all websites now, known as a responsive site. That means that the site changes its behavior depending on what size screen you are using (typically mobile, tablet, or desktop). Of course, you can simulate this by shrinking a desktop window down to a smaller size.

When a browser window is shrunk to a smaller size, the info on the right and across the top changes, typically to what is known as a hamburger menu (Three small horizontal lines that look a little like a hamburger). If you select the hamburger, you see the menu in vertical format. That is not just on our site, but rather a universal standard pioneered in 1981 by Xerox but resurged with the advent of mobile browsers. For more info, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button

If you log into orcaonline.org or reeltalk and you tell the system to remember me (you), then you never should have to log in again on that same device. This enables you to access a lot of information quickly on your mobile phone or other device. I keep both open on my phone so I can always respond to questions or see hot info quickly.

Members that do login can use shortcuts like this one directly to the Members Only Area: https://www.orcaonline.org/members-only/

Not that anyone asked, but what we cannot do is provide you with a link directly to a downloadable membership list. You may have noticed that members only information is stored on AWS using encrypted expiring links good only for the validated member. Anyway, if you have problems accessing any member information, we can email it to you directly.

Let me know if this is working for you!
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

In addition to what other people have mentioned about logging in first. I've noticed that if I forget to log in before attempting to view the members only page, I get stuck in a permanent loop. Even after logging in, I continue to get the "sorry for the inconvenience" page. I've confirmed it happens in Chrome and Firefox. You might be able to fix this by clearing the browser history and restarting the browser but I usually just switch to another browser or come back the next day.

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thanks, guys. I've been so focused on Reel Talk that I've yet to get out and see everything that Matters installed on the site! Thank you, Steve and Matt, for helping!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

@Jason, it would be really helpful to me to understand exactly why you are having to log in after your first login. For example, I never actually log in anymore. I check the box saying "Remember Me", and every time I hit the orcaonline site, I automatically am logged in. I never get the Sorry for the Inconvenience message. Having said that, I have heard from other members that I think are pretty savy, and they have reported that intermittently, usually after a site update where they had to clear browser cache. Maybe you could work with me to understand how to improve the site.

@Steve and @Everyone, we are making the maximum use of Commercial Off the Shelf Wordpress software and various Commercial Themes to minimize the customization of our site and make your membership affordable. That means that things like the hamburger menu and other evolving standard methods (like the login for membership) is what we must use. In my previous work career before retiring, I had a multi-million dollar budget for each application, and we developed custom software to be better than the competition. Here at ORCA, we have to look at how to do everything using inexpensive off-the-shelf options. Not to say that I an not open to looking at more options if I think we have a particular improvement needed. I already know we need a new Theme next year.

@Jason, when you have the time, send me a direct email and we can collaborate to see what improvement might be needed.
Matt Wickham
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Took a couple of tries but clearing my browser cache resolved it. I was getting caught in the same loop Jason was experiencing. After signing in, I could see all of the other member only pages except the main one where, of course, the member list resided.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

(Three small horizontal lines that look a little like a hamburger)
It's a mystery why some techie thought the closest thing to that 3-line thing was a hamburger, rather than, say, a "sandwich menu," a "bed menu," a "street menu" or "road map," or whatever. If a # can have an elegant name like "octothorpe," they should be able to do better than "hamburger." :loco:

I don't know how long I'd been noticing that 3-line thing on web sites before finally seeing it cleverly and uncharacteristically labeled with the English word "Menu" next to it on a site. "Aha!" I wisely concluded. "That symbol means 'menu.' " And bingo! Clicking on it produced a menu! :idea:

My Firefox browser has a teeny hamburger in the whatever bar it is that has the URL entry. Click it, and you see a drop-down menu of stuff in the menu bar and a lot of other things. The burger is there whether you're viewing full screen or smaller. Although there's no "menu" label, if the cursor hovers over it, an "Open application menu" popup appears. On the ORCA home page at full screen, there's no burger - it appears only if you shrink the window. When you click it, you get a dropdown menu containing only what had been the "tab" labels in the full screen view. Are these just differences in the purposes of the burgers? Is there an advantage of having the burger served only when the window size is shrunk?

And why do techies seem to think that everyone should immediately be able to ascertain the function of every damn icon they decide to splatter onto our screens? :bash:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I consider the convention of 3 horizontal lines representing an iconic food menu to be as ubiquitous as the tiny gasoline pump on your automobile instrument panel. (or the arrows on your anti-backlash control). It has been the convention since 1981, and it is more familiar to Gen X,Y, Z than others, it is a part of computer life on mobile and tablets. What may also be eluding some is that there is a little down arrow next to each menu item that will expand the menu. This is the convention for all mobile website, not just ours.

I actually don't ever see it on my laptop because it is a higher resolution screen and as you pointed out, the mobile menu (hamburger is only a popular synonym) only appears if the screen real estate is too small to effectively display the full text menu. As I stated previously, this is known as "responsive site" and is the standard way to respond to different screen sizes.

I was the manager of a development team that won an award from Google for being one of the first 5 world wide domains that had 100% of their websites mobile responsive. This also means that a site that is not fully responsive is downgraded in search results. Our ORCA site meets the google search responsive requirements. https://developers.google.com/search/bl ... ri_group=8

Matt Wickham
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

My philosophy, regarding icons, has always been to click on it and see what it means. What's the worst thing that could happen?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I consider the convention of 3 horizontal lines representing an iconic food menu to be as ubiquitous as the tiny gasoline pump on your automobile instrument panel
I still have to look up the meanings of half the icons in my 4-year-old car.

Nevertheless, as Shakespeare (the Bard, not the Kalamazooan) wrote:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels