Theoretical question about the oldest fly reel....

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Theoretical question about the oldest fly reel....

Post by Richard Lodge »

I know I'm probably stepping in it for raising this question, but just for discussion's sake -- and assuming we can define an early fly reel as a somewhat simple single action reel -- what do you think is the oldest verifiable American-made fly reel? By verifiable I mean a reel which the date of manufacturer can be narrowly determined through the dates a company or maker operated (ie: Conroy and Sons was in business between X and Y years...) or a reel that has an actual date engraved on it (allowing for the fact that date might have been when it was presented to the angler). We know the Orvis fly reel was patented in 1874, so that definitely narrows when that reel was available. I know there are much older American-made fly reels. What are they and how are you determining when it/they was/were made?
Richard
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Theoretical question about the oldest fly reel....

Post by Mike N »

Samuel Phillippe built the first split-bamboo section for a fishing rod in 1846.

Billinghurst built his birdcage fly reel in 1859. The AMFF considers that to be the first American fly reel.

https://www.amff.org/portfolio/william- ... urst-reel/
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Good points, Mike. I was talking about fly reels, not rods (although I like old fly rods, too.). :D
Curious to hear what other folks think. Older than Billinghurst? Give us your best shot. :shock:
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

My point in mentioning the rod was the incredible 13-year gap, 1846 to 1859.

Either the Phillippes rod was fished with a British fly reel for those 13 years, or there was an American alternative before 1859.

But I defer to S.Vernon, J. Schottenham, and J. Brown & company for a definitive answer.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

How to define a "fly" reel? Used wilst fishing with a fly for bait? Weren't they all just fishing reels way back then? Steppin' in it here!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

There's this one to consider, but verifiable? And when did Morgan James make his reels?
I'm waiting to see if anyone ever finds a Rodgers (1820s?), Brinsmaid (ca. 1852), or early Bate (1822on) fly reel...or any reel by those folks, for that matter.
Just for fun, here's something from the early to mid-1850s:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."