Pflueger??

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kinggyp
Big ORCA Fan

Pflueger??

Post by kinggyp »

Hi all,
Can anyone offer any insight into identifying this reel? One suggestion is a Pflueger #249 from early 1900's. It has a rather nice leather thumb brake. I can see no makers mark anywhere.
thanks,

RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Pflueger??

Post by RAM »

Pflueger trade reel, pre-1910.

Bad Bob
kinggyp
Big ORCA Fan

Post by kinggyp »

Thanks Bad Bob :D That would make it the first trade piece I've encountered. Any ideas on the scarcity of such a reel? She's going to look great when I've had a chance to clean her up.
cheers.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Had one like it once. Enterprise made a heap of such trade reels so it is not rare; perhaps scarce is a better term. Cleaned, that old rascal will look “reel” neat! Keep hunting!

BB
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I have the same reel marked as 4Bros Beacon

RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

This is a generic Pflueger design, typical of several of their models, The reel in question pre-dates the Beacon by quite a few years, judging by the style of the bearing cap and vertical-walled knobs. Think likely pre-1910 as domed caps are more recent. But then.....Always surprises!
Cheers for “What’s my reel?” BB
kinggyp
Big ORCA Fan

Post by kinggyp »

Thanks for the input guys. As BB says, it seems the design was fairly generic across several early models. I've also received suggestion of it being a Eureka. Looking forward to cleaning it up. I wonder how unusual it is to have found it in the UK??? I can't imagine there's too many over here.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

By the way-If you get the chance say HI! To King Charles for me. Neat guy. Saw him salmon fishing once, in rather dapper attire as I recall!

BB