B.F. Meek & Sons No. 44 Fly Reel Evolution

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
RonG
Super Board Poster

B.F. Meek & Sons No. 44 Fly Reel Evolution

Post by RonG »

Many of you saw the recent Angling Auctions listing of a Meek No. 44 fly reel. It's the one pictured in the middle in the photos below. There were discussions among collectors as to whether the reel was a first model or a second model. I offer the photos below for your evaluation. Shown from left to right are the lowest serial number to the highest. They are 1150, 1355, 2468, 2539 and 3897. To me, it's a "Missing Link" when B.F. Meek & Sons transitions from the first model to the second model. You can pick out design features seen on the first model to the left of it and some from the second model to the right of it. I thought the handle was really telling since it has an ivory knob and a dog-leg bend like the first model, yet, it has a smooth curved feature rather than straight on the counterweight side of the handle like a second model. You can look at the photos and pick out similarities from both the first and second models. You can click on the photos to enlarge them.

Last edited by RonG on Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: B.F. Meek & Sons No. 44 Fly Reel Evolution

Post by reelsmith. »

Great post. Thank you !

"Missing Link" is an apt name. It clearly shows bits of what was and what was to come.

I only have one issue ...you clearly have one too many first models. :lol:

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

That’s quite a line-up, Ron. Thanks for sharing that info.

As I said about the Orvis 1874 patent fly reels… line a dozen up next to each other and it’s amazing what you can learn.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Here is #1235, for what it might add to the story:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

The earlier (lower serial number) 44s are a microcosm for all Meek reels. The most attractive and ornate Meek reels ever made were made by B. F. Meek & Sons, shortly after Ben sold the company, from about 1899 until 1902 or 1903. The knurling, edging, and sculpting are probably the nicest of any "standard production" Kentucky reels ever made. Before and after this period, Meek reels are not nearly as ornate.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

For comparison (and debate) purposes, I’ve always felt that the handmade aluminum fly reel with the checkered edge band built by fellow Kentuckian Clarence Gayle in the 1930s is just as appealing visually as the Meek No. 44.

I wonder what the price comparison was during that period? The 1935 catalog Ron has depicted on his website indicates the handmade Gayle trout/bass reel below sold for $30 and the salmon model sold for $75. That’s quite a sum in the post-Depression era. Does anyone have the Meek 44 price range during that period?

Here is a photo and link from Ron’s website: https://reelsnlures.com/c-gayle-reels-frankfort-ky/

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

The Meek 44 never appeared in any Horton catalogs after they acquired B.F. Meek & Sons in 1916. Meek placed a wholesale value of about $10 per reel on the Meek 44 fly reels that remained in the inventory at the time of the acquisition according to the ledgers from the Horton archives (going off memory as I post this, can confirm when I get home tonight).
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

I once owned a "missing link" between the 1st model and the second model. It had all the characteristics of the first model with the exception of the handle which was "waisted" on the counterbalanced side. All the knurling, scribing, etc. was exactly as found in the first model. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the serial number was.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Great post and very informative. And great photography, not so easy I think to get that just right. I would mark that as some of the best eye candy I have seen. So the big question is, do we as collectors change our thinking on the number of versions of the 44? Are there still 3 main versions and some small variations or do we say that there are 4 versions with some variations? I wouldn't go for 5 versions.

I think the Talbot Ben Hur German steel is the only thing that comes close to the B.F. Meek & Sons in terms of style and beauty of the period. Maybe Terry Ow will line up five of his best and we can compare. I know they also came in two different sizes.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

kyreels wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:47 pm
I think the Talbot Ben Hur German steel is the only thing that comes close to the B.F. Meek & Sons in terms of style and beauty of the period. Maybe Terry Ow will line up five of his best and we can compare. I know they also came in two different sizes.
Good call, Matt. The Talbot and the Meek fly reels had subtle differences but a great deal of similarities, too.

Photos of the smaller No. 100 Talbot Ben Hur and the larger No. 101 courtesy of Lang’s auction:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Are there still 3 main versions and some small variations or do we say that there are 4 versions with some variations? I wouldn't go for 5 versions
I don't know how to define "version." Certainly a reel that suddenly has no rim decorations or one with a raised click housing could be considered a "version." You have to expect some variation among reels made for a couple of decades. My guess is that the person who decorated the rims of the left-most reels (1&2) retired, or began losing his eyesight, or underwent middle-age burnout, or just ran out of his supply of decorated plates. So "version 3" appeared. Does the close placement of the click spring rivets help to define version 1, or did someone decide, say after #1204, that they would order click springs from another supplier? And at what company board meeting did they decide to taper the grasp or to drop the grasp decoration? And what about the location of the line hole in the spool arbor, which also changes?

I would vote for Matt's "3 main versions and some small variations." But if the only differences between 3 and 4 are crank shapes, I might narrow it down to 2 versions. I suspect that a larger collection of 44s would contain even more minor variations.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Steve wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:35 pm My guess is that the person who decorated the rims of the left-most reels (1&2) retired, or began losing his eyesight, or underwent middle-age burnout, or just ran out of his supply of decorated plates.
My guess is different ...like any business, they were mindful of the bottom line.

They could raise prices as time went on, or reduce their cost to manufacture in order to maintain profits. One way to cut costs is to have that person who decorated the rims cut back on decoration. Kind of like how cereal manufacturers hold their prices and maintain their margins but giving you less cereal. Think of less decoration on a reel as less cereal in a box.

Just my 2-cents and worth half what you paid.

Dean.
Last edited by kyreels on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/