George W Gary Reels

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

George W Gary Reels

Post by Jay White »

George W Gary reels, made in Tocopilla, Chile, designed to fish under the rod, most have a "wishbone" brake, circa 1930s. Shown here are 5 sizes, 8 3/4" dia., 4 3/8" wide spool being the largest. 5" dia., 1 1/2" wide spool being the smallest. The others are 7 1/2" dia.. 6" dia., and 5 3/4" dia. Photos of Gary reels in use. If you have a size or model not shown here, I would be interested.

RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: George W Gary Reels

Post by RonG »

Boy Jay, you just keep them coming. That's a nice collection of interesting reels.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Very nice, Jay.

George Gary reels must be pretty scarce. According to my search I could not find one that has ever sold at Lang’s.

Chile is famous around the world for its salmon. Chile is the second largest exporter in the world and one out of every six salmon sold internationally comes from that country. Chilean salmon are typically raised in the pure Antarctic waters of Patagonia.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Very nice collection of Gary reels Jay !!! I had one and sold it a few years back and regret it. Nice !!! John Taylor
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

They are GREAT REELS... actually 1 of my favorite! I'm aware of 3 other sizes with the smallest having a 4" side plate and the largest having a 9" plate! Crazy thing is all appear to be 1 off hand made reels... The smallest set I owned didn't have the wishbone auxiliary brake but did have star drags like all others... very well made, thought out reels...in the last 15-20 years I've refocused on 1 great example from every maker but the last year (not intensionally) I put another full set of Hofe's together... Wish they were Garry's! Tight lines Nick n NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

That's a great collection I do recall seeing an example selling at Mullocks auction years ago.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Holy Crap !

Nice little reels you have there, Jay.

Keep the pictures comin' !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/