3 hook companies during the war

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

3 hook companies during the war

Post by Richard Lodge »

Hi folks - I'm still working on my Rube Cross biography and need some help. Cross, Harry Darbee and other fly tiers faced a big shortage of fish hooks during WWII as most manufacturers shifted to producing war-related goods. I'm trying to find out what Allock & Co. (in England), Mustad (in Norway), and Wright & McGill (producing Eagle Claw hooks in Colorado) did during the war. What did they produce, if anything? I saw somewhere that Allcock might have shut down after the factory was bombed, but there are several British manufacturers named Allcock or Allocks. I'm only interested in S. Allcock & Co., which produced fish hooks before and after the war. Thanks for your help!
Richard
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: 3 hook companies during the war

Post by Ron Mc »

Richard, there is a book titled Redditch at War that may have some leads for you.
https://www.brewinbooks.com/redditch_at_war
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks, Ron
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

You're welcome.
Might even try to contact the author directly with your question.

Of course Allcocks and Milwards were noted first for needles, and fishing tackle was a small side.
When I was tinkering yesterday, I did learn that needles were important-enough to wartime textiles, that Milwards set up alternate plants across the Midlands.