Hi New here. but you may hate me ;)

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
jjm
Big ORCA Fan

Hi New here. but you may hate me ;)

Post by jjm »

I actually fish my old reels many of them are probably older than me :D

In order to do that I have been buying new rods stripping the grips and rebuilding them to work with the style of reel I like. Which has turned out to be pretty fun.

You will notice that I have had to replace some of the bakelite handles as the disintegrate if you look at them wrong:)

While I was looking I found that South Bend had reel identical to the Shakespeare reels. Specifically No's 1200, 1400, 1500, and 1600. The No 1100 I haven't found Shakespeare equivalent. The drag is very different from the micro drag reels even if the bell slot is there. I am not sure how the 1100s drag works as I couldn't figure out disassemble it further without worrying about damaging it .

I looking forward to interacting with you all even if I don't believe old reels should be on a shelf but rather being fished ;)

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Hi New here. but you may hate me ;)

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome, JJM! Glad to have you aboard!

Not to worry, a lot of us use our vintage & collectible reels to fish with, as I'm sure many will attest to. Personally, I have about 30, 40 to 50 year old reels that I use regularly.

Shakespeare made many of South Bend's reels over the years. A lot of them were the exact same as a Shakespeare model except a different color and name/number stamping. The Shakespeare equivalent to the SB 1100A would be the Spin Wondereel Deluxe 1800 FG & FE (1954 & '56).
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Welcome, JJM.

In fact, several of us do fish on occasion with reels much older than those classic closed-faced spin cast reels you are showing from the 1960s. Give a post-Civil War era ball-handle reel a try. I think you would like it,

In any event, glad you signed up and we all look forward to your posts.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
jjm
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jjm »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:14 pm Welcome, JJM! Glad to have you aboard!

Not to worry, a lot of us use our vintage & collectible reels to fish with, as I'm sure many will attest to. Personally, I have about 30, 40 to 50 year old reels that I use regularly.

Shakespeare made many of South Bend's reels over the years. A lot of them were the exact same as a Shakespeare model except a different color and name/number stamping. The Shakespeare equivalent to the SB 1100A would be the Spin Wondereel Deluxe 1800 FG & FE (1954 & '56).
Thanks and that's interesting 1800 FG & FE. I have one coming in from an auction site this week that I got for less than 20 although it might be a later model as it has the micro drag spring and I figured that the South Bend's we're just re branded as Shakespeare seemed more invested in the form factor (e.g. 18O0 and 1810 II), but it's great to get a confirmation.

jjm
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jjm »

Mike N wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:29 pm Welcome, JJM.

In fact, several of us do fish on occasion with reels much older than those classic closed-faced spin cast reels you are showing from the 1960s. Give a post-Civil War era ball-handle reel a try. I think you would like it,

In any event, glad you signed up and we all look forward to your posts.

Mike N

Thank you. I think my next might be about modifying current rods to work with old reels

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

That was a good intro.
Wasn't it me who said, "people who say 'You're a collector, but I'm a fisherman' All become Rabid Collectors?"
Welcome to the madness.
You'll find Paul Roberts, another Bass Resource Refuge, also posts on ORCA - and fishes.

ps - it doesn't take much effort to open your curio door and add a loaded reel to the day's fishing bag.
jjm
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jjm »

Ron Mc wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:15 am That was a good intro.
Wasn't it me who said, "people who say 'You're a collector, but I'm a fisherman' All become Rabid Collectors?"
Welcome to the madness.
You'll find Paul Roberts, another Bass Resource Refuge, also posts on ORCA.

ps - it doesn't take much effort to open your curio door and add a loaded reel to the day's fishing bag.
Thanks! I already collect Star trek Christmas ornaments ;) I don't need to add to that, sad part is we don't even put up a tree most years 🤣

At least I fish...
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

The math here is also really easy.
Anyone with an interest in fishing reels began with an interest in fishing.
jjm
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jjm »

Ron Mc wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:59 am The math here is also really easy.
Anyone with an interest in fishing reels began with an interest in fishing.
Fishing 🎣 ? Too bad it's not called catching I bet I would actually catch something.....
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

jjm wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:31 pm
In order to do that I have been buying new rods stripping the grips and rebuilding them to work with the style of reel I like. Which has turned out to be pretty fun.

You will notice that I have had to replace some of the bakelite handles as the disintegrate if you look at them wrong:)
A lot of guys pick up older fiberglass rods, rewrap them and put updated grips on them to use with their older vintage style reels.

You are lucky if you can find that vintage and type of reel that doesn't have a handle knob that has corroded and become frozen. It's a common issue with that type of handle knob from Shakespeare, SB and Langley from that era.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
jjm
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jjm »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:14 pm
jjm wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:31 pm

A lot of guys pick up older fiberglass rods, rewrap them and put updated grips on them to use with their older vintage style reels.

You are lucky if you can find that vintage and type of reel that doesn't have a handle knob that has corroded and become frozen. It's a common issue with that type of handle knob from Shakespeare, SB and Langley from that era.

oh no I had the same problem, I found a bunch of "new old stock" that fit on that big auction site (Mods can I say their name?)

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Those work just fine. I haven't seen any aftermarket handles with the round knobs like the ones that originally came on many of those reels, though.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
jjm
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jjm »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:19 pm Those work just fine. I haven't seen any aftermarket handles with the round knobs like the ones that originally came on many of those reels, though.
I found some of those too from two different sellers. The one was cleaning out the left overs from a late relative's fishing store. He collected old reels too (go figure) So had some pretty cool stuff.

Phil
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Phil »

Welcome! I hunt garage sales for old Johnson Centuries and Zebco 33s to put on old rods for grand nieces and nephews that fish off my dock. I enjoy using them too, right at dusk. You found an affordable niche in a hobby that can get spendy. Have fun!
jjm
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jjm »

Phil wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:53 pm Welcome! I hunt garage sales for old Johnson Centuries and Zebco 33s to put on old rods for grand nieces and nephews that fish off my dock. I enjoy using them too, right at dusk. You found an affordable niche in a hobby that can get spendy. Have fun!
Thanks! It helps I am cheap ;)