PFLUEGER SUMMIT 1993

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
holdhimhook
Big ORCA Fan

PFLUEGER SUMMIT 1993

Post by holdhimhook »

I just bought a reel like this off of ebay because it looked very pretty and it was a nice deal, i have never used a baitcaster before but I did take the line off of it and put some new 8lb monofilament line on it but every time i try to cast i birdsnest. I suppose its cause i've never used one before but I dont know if has anything to do with the little screw in knobs on the end of it. they were loose when i got it and i tightened them and tried to through out a little 1oz weight and it wouldnt drop down then i loosened them and it would through i would just get birdsnested though. Does anyone have any information about this reel, such as what fish it was made to catch, or the specs of it. It has the same white handles as pictured and the little button/switch that makes it click while youre reeling will sometimes stop working or it will switch to the no clicky sound mode. Sorry I am new to this and I don't want to accidentally destroy my reel by trying to take it apart. I'm sure it probably needs servicing and greasing. Thanks in advance. :(
holdhimhook
Big ORCA Fan

Re: PFLUEGER SUMMIT 1993

Post by holdhimhook »

This is what it looks like, it has an metal middle spool not a cork one if that helps any.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hi and welcome! Yes, the Pflueger Summit is a beautiful reel and they were even more beautiful in earlier years. That pattern changed over time as well as the color of the grasp and so they make a wonderful series of reels to collect without breaking the bank. I used to have 13 of them, all different in one way or the other. ORCAn Bill Sonnet has a large collection and has posted about them in the past. They aren’t designed for monofilament line and you would be better to get some braided line… can find on ebay as you did the reel.

I have never had any luck fishing one and there are many other early baitcasters that are more easily tamed. You can adjust those bearing caps to tighten or loosen tension on the spool and try to get to that point that allows a cast without encouraging a birds nest. Adding a cork arbor can help a lot by getting the line closer to the top of the spool, which gives you a mechanical advantage. Both Bill S and Ron Mc can offer some good advice for fishing these reels.

Good luck!
John

PS… here are two early Nickel Silver versions that i couldn’t let go!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Good post John - the amber knobs give away the nickel-silver prewar reels.

Two really good-casting postwar reels are Supreme and Skilkast

Unfortunately, Skilkast is so reflective, it's tough to photo.
holdhimhook
Big ORCA Fan

Post by holdhimhook »

john elder wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:54 am Hi and welcome! Yes, the Pflueger Summit is a beautiful reel and they were even more beautiful in earlier years. That pattern changed over time as well as the color of the grasp and so they make a wonderful series of reels to collect without breaking the bank. I used to have 13 of them, all different in one way or the other. ORCAn Bill Sonnet has a large collection and has posted about them in the past. They aren’t designed for monofilament line and you would be better to get some braided line… can find on ebay as you did the reel.

I have never had any luck fishing one and there are many other early baitcasters that are more easily tamed. You can adjust those bearing caps to tighten or loosen tension on the spool and try to get to that point that allows a cast without encouraging a birds nest. Adding a cork arbor can help a lot by getting the line closer to the top of the spool, which gives you a mechanical advantage. Both Bill S and Ron Mc can offer some good advice for fishing these reels.

Good luck!
John

PS… here are two early Nickel Silver versions that i couldn’t let go!

Thank you for the information, ill make sure to get some braided line for it i just got back from fishing and caught an 8lb carp. Do you know what fish you would fish for with that reel? Maybe bass or something similar?
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Adding a ps about soft braided dacron.
Ice-fishing line is easy to find, Green Spot, Tip Up
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for adds, Ron! Yes, classically for bass, but i’m sure they were used for about any FW fish that swam by.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Your Reel is 1993L, the L standing for the fact that it has an aluminum spool which makes for easier casting. The earlier Summits with brass spools can be a real challenge to cast. As John mentioned, the stamped "engraved" pattern changed over time. The markings on your reel as pictured were introduced in 1951 at which time it sold for $12.50. 1970 was the last year for the 1993L. Your reel appears to be from the 1950s. By the way, when found in the original box the bottom of the box will be stamped with a simple series of numbers indicating what year, month, and day the reel left the factory.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Welcome. Good question. For someone new to baitcasting reels, the old direct drive reels (no freespool ability) are a greater challenge compared to modern casting reels. No worries, can definitely learn. But there are some things to know about this type of reel.

First, these reels need to be mechanically intact, in good condition, and thoroughly cleaned and lubed inside. Those that skip this, and fail to maintain it, may think these reels can’t cast. You’ll probably need to do some reading on this and learn to do the work and maintenance. These are not no, or even low, maintenance reels. Failure to do this and… casting instruction will be for naught.

Use a proper line. Braided nylon is recommended and can be bought inexpensively at Masontackle.com. 10 to 15lb is about right for that reel. This should tip you off to the fish and fishing the reel is most appropriate for. Use enough backing (cork or Dacron line) to fill the spool with your casting line. About a 1/4” below the spool edges is about right.

Before you begin winding line on, balance the spool. Back the spool tension knobs off evenly until the spool is loose, clicking when you move it side the side. Then tighten them back up alternately until the spool barely clicks when moved side to side. Make sure the spool has even tension at both ends. You can tell by seeing that the gap at both spool ends are equal. Then winding line on and seeing that it distributes evenly.

Next, use a proper weight to cast with. These reels do best with 1/2 and 5/8 oz weights. With practice and proper adjustments (and a reel in top-top shape) you may cast lighter weights although at less final distance than the heavier weights. Definitely a lot of fishing range can be met though.

With spool properly balanced, set the anti-backlash dial. This adds some drag to the spool rim internally. Max it out to start to reduce back lashing. However your thumb is going to be the main spool speed control. Keep your thumb on the spool at all times, firmest at the start and end of the cast. But during flight too, but a bit more lightly. Incrementally dial the AB back to increase distance. Your thumb will be taking over these duties as you dial back.

Never cast with the clicker on. It’s not made for this and will wear out quickly. It’s only there to keep the lure onto the rod’s hook keeper.

Again, these are not low maintenance nor practice proof reels. But do the work and they will cast nearly as well as many modern baitcasting reels, and a skill to be proud of. If not, you at least have a beautiful and well made engineering marvel, and piece of history, to display.

Hope this helps.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Thanks Paul, your comments are welcome and complete. I am sure most of us wanted to post similar comments, but your post put it all together. I think it could become a "sticky" post it is so complete.

I think a consensus has developed among all the vintage tackle casters that braided nylon is very much preferred for this type of reel.It is getting harder to find. I was not familiar with Mason, I see their Legend series line does come in 10 to 15 lb, I would probably go to the 12 lb for the Summit reel.

Thanks again.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

One more thought on the Summit. If you are an ORCA member, you can review all articles ever written on the Summit by going to the Reel News Index on the Members only site and typing "Summit" into the search. You will get a table of all articles written, and you can press the link for the article and instantly get it in PDF format on your screen. You can really learn something and spend some pleasurable time reviewing all the info we have collected over the years.

Matt Wickham
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

As Matt suggests, ORCA is well worth joining. There is more info on antique, vintage, and collectible reels made available through ORCA than anywhere on the net, or elsewhere. And it keeps getting better with new material and features being added. Then there is the sheer amount of knowledge and experience that ORCA members are able and willing to share. If you find yourself falling for old reels like so many of us have, ORCA is the place to orbit.

Matt, Mason is about the only company making braided nylon in sizes appropriate for old casting reels. There is another company called Woodstock that offers a braided nylon too, the lowest lb test is 15lb I believe. It looks a lot like the Mason line so I inquired with a Mason employee by phone but she said she didn’t think Mason made the Woodstock line.

All this said, Bill Sonnet strongly recommends acquiring the old stock braided nylons which had better qualities for casting lines, which I’ve been unable to find in any quantity or reasonable price. The Mason and Woodstock lines are of a looser weave than the old stuff and fray more easily. So far they cast well enough but my schedule hasn’t allowed me to spend enough time to give them a good workout on the water.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Paul, stringing tennis racquets is the primary use of braided nylon.
Gutebrod, who offered Meatmaster, went out of business when they lost their tennis racquet contract to Woodstock.

The ice-fishing braids, are teflon-impregnated, which makes them hydrophobic - I use them for backing on valuable antique fly reels, and they cast pretty well.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Since you can't get Cortland or Wexford braided nylon or Dacron anymore, even on the bay, it is good to find alternatives. The American Casting Association (ACA) casters were using Orvis 12 lb backing as the closest thing for diameter (same as Cortland 10 lb), but Orvis changed it a couple of years ago to Dacron 20 lb, which is a bit too large. So any time you can find the old Orvis backing, that is an alternative.

The ACA now sells a braided 8 lb line for accuracy casting, but it is not good for the older reels in my humble opinion. I just bought some and I don't like it.
Matt Wickham
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, guys.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

put in a "search" for Cortland Camo Braided line as well as Wexford Braided Nylon casting line and they will pop up eventually. I have bought dozens off of eBay over the past few years.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Bill Sonnett wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:09 pm put in a "search" for Cortland Camo Braided line as well as Wexford Braided Nylon casting line and they will pop up eventually. I have bought dozens off of eBay over the past few years.
I run across both of them and Ashaway braided nylon every now and then but they're getting fewer and farther between, plus 8, 10, 12 & 15# seem to becoming a much tougher find. Most of what I see these days is 20# & above and quite a few less 100yd combo spools.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I'm 78 and remember as a young man that more than half the reels I encountered with older fishermen had 25-35 lb test line on them. I always thought this was one of the reasons so many folks had trouble casting back then. I have a lot of 12 Lb Cortland (an unbroken case) if anyone is desperate I will sell you some at my cost as I will never be able to use it all in my lifetime.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Personally, I prefer the 8-12# braided nylon lines for a few of my period correct open face spinning examples. I avoided mono like the plague up until the late '70s/early '80s when Stren got better and Berkeley came out with Trilene.

There's a huge difference between rod action preferences when using braided nylon compared to mono in spinning reel applications.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Midway Tommy D wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:59 pm Personally, I prefer the 8-12# braided nylon lines for a few of my period correct open face spinning examples. I avoided mono like the plague up until the late '70s/early '80s when Stren got better and Berkeley came out with Trilene.

There's a huge difference between rod action preferences when using braided nylon compared to mono in spinning reel applications.
I noticed some time ago that Shakspeare Wexford braided line ("Invisible" color) came on spools marked "spinning line" The line was absolutely identical to the line marked "casting line" with one exception. Each spool contains 100yds of line rather than the usual 50. The other difference is that most of the spools contain lines from 4 to 10 lb test. I soon surmised that this was the result of the spools on very early spinning reels which had huge line capacities. It took a lot of line, braided or mono to fill them up.