New member from Switzerland-flyuvo

Post information about yourself and your collecting interests.
flyuvo
Big ORCA Fan

New member from Switzerland-flyuvo

Post by flyuvo »

Hello everybody
My name is Urs and I’m a native Swiss 8) I’m a retired psychiatric nurse and one of the few Swiss collectors of vintage fly reels mainly British and pre WWII ( At least I never got to know any other). I’ve been fishing mainly abroad since Salmon run right up to the Swiss mountains was cut off by the many built power stations along the Rhine in Germany over a hundred years ago. For over fourty years I spend holidays with fishing friends on the loughs of Ireland during Mayfly season and in August on different rivers up the very north of Norway.

My main interest are the reels of W Dingley, some Hardy’s and red agate Young’s. Since retirement I’ve got into recoating those originally black painted Young reels of the 20’s through to the 40’s, of which I pick the scrubbiest, scratched and with hardly any collector’s value. Sometimes you can buy them for a song and a dance :wink: Old dry fly boxes I like to restore as well.

I probably cannot contribute to your expertise that I have witnessed while reading threads in this forum as a guest. I once in a while raise a topic or contribute a thought in the Classicflyrodforum under the same name.

Thx for having me
Stay safe
Urs
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: New member from Switzerland-flyuvo

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome Urs! I'm sure you will have plenty to contribute here.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Welcome, Urs! Do you have any contact with ORCAn Jacob Viereck in Norway? He is an avid fisherman and collector and a great fellow. He would be a great connection for you if you haven’t met.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
flyuvo
Big ORCA Fan

Post by flyuvo »

Thx Tom and John! John, sent you a pm :)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Hi Urs, nice to have another European collector on board.

I too have an admiration for Dingley reels but mainly the ones made before he started on his own.

Regards
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Welcome to ORCA, Urs. Great to have you on board. I collect old Haywood (Birmingham, England) reels and skeleton-style fly reels but I also fish with one of the smaller Young Beaudex reels that I had converted to left-hand wind. A great little reel, very classic style, from the 1940s.
Richard