Meisselbach-Catucchi Symploreel No 370

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
flyuvo
Big ORCA Fan

Meisselbach-Catucchi Symploreel No 370

Post by flyuvo »

Hi everybody
I have an American fly reel here that has a broken and half missing screw that holds the pawl inside. It’s actually a cunning system there and the clicking sound is not worse than in some Hardy’s. It’s working alright when the spool and cage are fit together. Nevertheless the screw head is missing and that’s visible on the outside apart from the fact that the pawl cannot be tightened any more. Does anybody have spares for that Symploreel 370 or know somebody who might have or know somebody who can make a new screw without making me send that reel back and forth over the Atlantic? Tried Arch and Mikes repair with no success :bash:
My reel:

That’s how it should look like:

Any help is much appreciated.
Stay safe
Urs
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Meisselbach-Catucchi Symploreel No 370

Post by klonder »

See my pictorial reply over at the CFRF. Would post here but didn't want the pic resize hassle.
Good luck.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

The pawl stanchion appears to be a sex bolt.
You should be able to extract the broken thread and re-use the stanchion.
It's not under load any more, but it may be held by corrosion-deposit tension - soak it in Kroil.

It's going to be a standard thread size, likely 3-48.
I would think you could match it with a hardware store screw and maybe a washer from the outside.

Bolt Depot sells piecemeal down to #0.
If you identify the thread you could load a piecemeal cart together with half-a-dozen lengths to find the best fit.
Bolt Depot service is over the top, even for $2 piecemeal orders.

I'm not sure why the editorials on click sounds but here's mine - disc drags are fascist - well, at least they're boring.
flyuvo
Big ORCA Fan

Post by flyuvo »

Hi Ron, thx for hints. Now I finally know how this one end is called in English: sex bolt 😊 it’s in the Kroil bath right now and hopefully I can get the broken piece of the screw out. Of course I would like the screw head to look like the original. On pictures of unbroken Symploreels this screw head seems to be a little bigger than the other two that hold the kind of springs. Is that right? Would you be able to point out the right screw in Bolt Depot? Thx guys for your help, much appreciated!
Stay safe
Urs
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Once you get it extracted, take the stanchion to a hardware store and test-fit tiny machine screw threads.
When you identify the thread,
guesstimate the length, go to bolt depot, and buy 3 to a half-dozen lengths around that guess.
You might also check their different heads.
Good luck.

adding a ps here - as far as looks, form follows function. A functioning reel is preferred to a correct-looking non-functional reel.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyuvo
Big ORCA Fan

Post by flyuvo »

No Bolt Depot in Switzerland 😬
flyuvo
Big ORCA Fan

Post by flyuvo »

Hi all, I owe you that one. Sent the reel with others to John Mackenzie who did the repair, as always to my full satisfaction 😊

Thx for all your efforts to help me, much appreciated!
Urs