It is time to say bye.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

It is time to say bye.

Post by corbo »

I have fished since a little kid thanks to my dad's desire and will continue. I started collecting reels in 2008 making the usual mistakes. Settled on Meisselbach and Hendryx after a short time, though my orca membership longevity does not reflect that. White's publications, R Schultz, J Elder and others helped big time.
Over the years of making acquisition mistakes, and then correcting them, I have a VG grouping of Featherlight, Experts, and Ameteur Meisselbach reels.... which will may not be replicated or found in VG condition given what I see available today versus time past. There are a very few holes to be filled.
Orca seems to me to be a more of a high end collector forum of late. Not a bad deal, just not in my interest. this group is not inexpensive but a good one. Contact me using the Contact link on the right sidebar for pix and cost/inventory. on to other things.
Dave corbin
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: It is time to say bye.

Post by kyreels »

Dave,

Hope you will stick around Reel Talk even if you don't renew your ORCA membership. We welcome all levels of collectors and vintage fishing tackle accumulators. There are more collectors of mid-range reels than ever, and lately spinning reels have become more popular with members. The high-end discussions tend to skew here, but that reflects the passion of Reel Talk users more than it does our members.

I removed your email because anyone can use the Contact button on the right to email or send you a message. This protects the privacy and security of all members.

Good luck with your sale and let us know if we can help you post a list or photos. I have enjoyed your posts in the past.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Orca seems to me to be a more of a high end collector forum of late.
Dave, maybe your impression of this forum is correct, but as Matt pointed out, this forum isn't ORCA. The last few issues of The Reel News have had articles on Mitchell and Olympic reels, some "low-end" Indiana-style reels, some "low-end" automatic reels, some "low-end" Montague and Pflueger reels. A lot of the articles are about reel and company history; some of the companies made what is now high-end stuff, others didn't. Some of the articles are about scarcer reels, which can be "high-end" because of their quality or "low-end" simply because few collectors know anything about them. IMHO, membership in ORCA is a horizon-widening experience by which all collectors can learn more about the rich history of the industry and its products, regardless of the current, perceived monetary value of those products.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

I started collecting Meisselbach reels and I still think the Meisselbach Expert is the best looking reel ever made.

You're right, its getting harder to find them in good condition.
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated. I have very much enjoyed ORCA, those members with whom I have had interaction, what I have learned, and the hunt for singles of specific Meisselbach and Hendryx reels. I'll certainly continue my membership as I remain addicted, just at a different level.
Selling these guys may likely not come to fruition. Be that as it may as it's part of the deal. I regret that my kids have little interest in them. It may be that donating them somewhere may be the final outcome.
like many others, I have tired of what Ebay has become and would prefer to see them in the hands of a collector.....an ORCA member.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Dave,

If you decide to donate your reels, keep in mind that ORCA would be pleased to receive them. ORCA can provide you with a letter detailing your donation to this nonprofit organization for tax purposes.

Regards,
Ron
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Dave

Phil White always told me that the most beautiful reel every made is the Meisselbach Hard Rubber, German silver Take-Apart reel. He always said the Take-Apart is a lot more beautiful than any Kentucky reel. You are right about your Meisselbach Featherlight reels, Expert reels, and Allright reels. Those are the reels than many manufactures used to pattern their own reels after. They are also great looking reels for a moderate price.

Steve is right in that ORCA and the Reel News is about learning the history of the reels we collect. The history to me is worth more than the reels I collect. We need to encourage our members to do more research. The ORCA library and what Matt and others have set up makes it easier to research reels. Those of us who enjoy writing are more than happy to help researchers and collectors who hate to write. I am helping two good friends right now in developing an article and also developing a book.

Roger
dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Post by dbummee »

In response to Corbo's retiring, more or less from collecting, and it sounds like he may also be contemplating
ORCA a well, it does not surprise me. I was a member for quite a while and never got so I could feel like
i actually belonged. Mainly Because of the fact that I could not compete with those with deep pockets, and thus,
had to pick the bottom more or less. The response to my reason for leaving at the time, was that there were plenty of lesser
reels around that I could collect and for some reason they thought I could be happy with that. True, for the most part, as I
do own a fairly large collection of blue collar reels. but it would have been nice if I could have afforded a better one
once in awhile.

Tom DuRose
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

Post by corbo »

Gentlemen,
this to respond to R. Schu;tz, Ron G, and T. DuRose. I have utmost respect for R. Schulz for his dedication and hard work for ORCA for more than 2 decades, and for his great new publication.
Fly fish for stream smallmouth, tie flys, and chase white balls in an effort to break 80 again. Some guys stay with the same hobby forever. Am not that guy. At 70 plus the new goal is learning to checker and refinish old S/S and O/U shotgun stocks and forearms. The chase for river smallmouth will remain, I have the patience and determination to learn to do the somewhat lost art intricate wood work....all needed is a goal.
DC

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Tom,
As the old saying goes "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". I don't have many "high dollar" reels in my cases but I do smile every time I walk by them. They're all beautiful to me. Just knowing the quality and their history makes me proud of them and all I have learned throughout the collecting process. I really enjoy sharing information with those seeking it. I just wish I would have been involved back when there was an awful lot of spinning reel reserach and dialog going on. Seems like most of those folks have disappeared or gone by the wayside.

It makes my day when someone is looking for information on spinners. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I do agree with Tom that every piece I own I can for the most part smile and tell you everything about it. At 1 time I was probably one of the youngest collectors out there focusing on big game tackle... growing up in the Carolinas l was introduced to big game fishing at an early age as well as fly fishing for trout on the upper Raritan river...let me refocus. I took dealt with many people with deep pockets BUT never let affect my collecting. What I did do and continue to do is attend ever garage sale, flea market as well as fisherman's flea market and always but outside of my focus just be careful in getting side tracked. What I don't collect I sell or trade including lures ....yeah my space went from 4000 square feet to 1600 so space is limited BUT I focus on 1 example of every maker. Today at 56? I've started life over and have a 7 year old little Nick that has no interest in reels but loves the lures. I've since put a serious collection together for him some day to enjoy if still interested. In the mean time I've a list/photos etc. of every item and the value in the event I should pass. I also have seen, hug with the deep pocket people. Wish I didn't know some of them. Asked to work together on items in auctions just to hear them say 1 with most money will win! No problem there's little I need but I will at every chance bid them up and should l win I'll eat pasta and rice for a while....end of the day it's only fishing tackle. I won't let it consume me. Tight lines Nick n NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Don't mind all the typos...no reading glasses, on the phone on a moving train. Tight lines Nick
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!