15/0 Fin-Nor GD model Double handle reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

15/0 Fin-Nor GD model Double handle reel

Post by 54bullseye »

I know a lot of you aren't really Big Game fans and like the Kentucky style reels and vintage Fly rods and reels and I can appreciate that. I have seen some beautiful examples in the latest " Classic Rod and Reel Combos" post. Myself I love the big reels especially Fin-Nor as you may have guessed LOL !! Here is one I have wished for ever since I saw the early Fin-Nor Catalog with this one on the cover !!

This one came out after the Big Drum, Small Drum and first model two speed I think maybe 1938 or possibly 1939 the same time the models G and CT appeared. Unfortunately the catalog has no date on it.

According to the catalog it came in only the 15/0 size and was designed to fight the Giant Bluefin Tuna. It is 1 to 1 ratio and as you can see unlike any of the other models the handle comes right out of the center of the reel so direct drive !! Line pulls in from the bottom of the reel.

This reel has the early drum style drag or brake but it's hidden inside the head plate side. The GD, G and some of the CT's were Grieten's last drum style brake reels. I guess there was a patent infringement suite from Kovalovsky that ended the drum brakes in Fin-Nor reels. I am not sure of those details but that's what I have heard.

As of now it's the only one that's shown up in the collector world as far as I know ?? Anyone seen or own others ?? This one showed up in my backyard on Cape Cod. I am guessing there probably weren't a bunch of these made having the slow but powerful 1 to 1 ratio while at the same time the G and CT models were two speeds.

You will also notice it has the early hand engraved Fin-Nor emblem and is # 34

I mentioned it came from my back yard but I wasn't the one who found it !! Many thanks to Ed Pritchard :bow: :bow: For finding it. JT

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy !!! John Taylor

Last edited by 54bullseye on Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: 15/0 Fin-Nor GD model Double handle reel

Post by Midway Tommy D »

WOW, nice example and lucky you! Thanks for sharing, John.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Wow, that's a nice real. I'm trying to imagine fighting a big tuna with a reel with 1:1 drive.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

RonG wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:51 pm Wow, that's a nice real. I'm trying to imagine fighting a big tuna with a reel with 1:1 drive.
Would be great if he was straight down in the depths !! But you would have to reel your ---- off if he was swimming at you LOL !!! I don't know what the price difference was between this one and the two speeds but the two speeds would get my vote and money. I will bet this is one of only a very few !! John Taylor PS Glad to own it !
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Excellent reel worth showing off.
A yachtsman would love cranking that winch drive on a charging tuna :fished
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So nice, John! That’s the only one i’ve seen! I would imagine it was not made very long since in order to make much headway at 1:1 with such a big reel, the dual handles would really come into play. Once they were made “illegal”, it may have just been too unwieldy to be practical??

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

john elder wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:34 am So nice, John! That’s the only one i’ve seen! I would imagine it was not made very long since in order to make much headway at 1:1 with such a big reel, the dual handles would really come into play. Once they were made “illegal”, it may have just been too unwieldy to be practical??

John
I am guessing very few of these out there or others would have popped up ! I have seen many CT models and quite a few G models but the G models probably stopped when IGFA banned the double handles. The CT and G were pretty much the same other than the second handle. JT
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

That’s really cool John!
-Chris R.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Beautiful reel John... even better finding it in your backyard! Now to start color collecting! I'm thinking the proper rod to display it on should have full roller guides. Tight lines Nick n NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Stunning! Way cool.
Robert Janssen
Sweden
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

John:

Which Fin Nor reel models and sizes have been identified with the double handles, other than the 15/0 GD you have just secured?
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

stumpstalker wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:00 pm John:

Which Fin Nor reel models and sizes have been identified with the double handles, other than the 15/0 GD you have just secured?
The Big Drum had two handles but next was Small Drum with only one handle. After that was the first model two speed that had two handles. Then there was the GD and G which both had double handles and the CT model which only had the one. I believe that was the last of the double handles. John Taylor
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

How did I miss this post? In all my years collecting this is the only 15/0 GD I have ever come across, I'm glad it ended up in the right hands. Congratulations John!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

Here is a photo taken in the 1960s of a boat that had a double-handled Fin Nor reel in its big game arsenal. The owner specialized in Giant Bluefin Tuna fishing, competing in the tournaments in the U. S. Northeast.

I have been attempting to run down the specifics on the double-handled reel used on this boat, thus far to no avail. If there is a breakthrough in the case, I will post of it.