GONE- Thanks! Meisselbach-Catucci “Castwell” Symploreel No. 750

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

GONE- Thanks! Meisselbach-Catucci “Castwell” Symploreel No. 750

Post by JoeW »

Meisselbach-Catucci “Castwell” Symploreel No. 750 (Gone to a good home! Great site... and good people!)

From what I’ve gathered here (Thank you ORCA!), this is a “quite scarce” reel. Made only 1932-35 with the ABL bar.

OK- Problem! Needs some TLC! There is no click— button is there but no clicking either way. Also- the traveller on the LW gets stuck as it moves back and forth. Good news- the ABL bar does have some spring left in it! I haven’t even given it a bath, so it does need a light cleaning. There’s a line across the logo on the back- maybe just a scratch, maybe a very shallow little crack? It doesn’t seem to be deep and it’s solid.

I’m not even going to attempt taking it apart to check the click! Me and those spring-loaded ABL bars just do NOT agree! I’d like to pass this off as found to someone who’ll nurse it back to health and give it good home! If pics don't show up here, message me and I'll send 'em-- been awhile

I have no idea at all as to value! I’d like appraisals, or offers, please. Don’t be shy- the worst I can say is “What! Are you crazy! That’s way too much! I’ll take half that amount!”. Post here, or message me. Pretty good looking example.Thanks all! Best—- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC ORCA GB)

Last edited by JoeW on Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Meisselbach-Catucci “Castwell” Symploreel No. 750

Post by wrong99 »

I think with magnification you will know quick.
Mark
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Mark--- Are you talking about that crack/scratch? I clicked 2X on the last pic and it showed super magnification! Didn't know it would do that! So... after further review: it seems that the line goes up and over the raised lettering, not through it! And, the line does not go down the edge of the faceplate. And, the line starts at a screw- right where a screwdriver might slip and slide across the faceplate. So... the decision on the field is that it is a scratch, not a crack. What do you think?

Still open for offers on that reel. I noticed the Meisselbach section of info has no pics of this particular model, just catalog cuts. If the powers that be want to use my pics there, fine with me. Or- you could make an offer on it and take your own pics! Heh heh.

Thanks for the tip. Have fun. Best--- JoeW
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

My sources (Phil White and Roger Schultz's outstanding Meisselbach reel books) state that the Symploreel No. 750 was made between 1930-1933 and is considered "scarce." For what it's worth, Phil White's 2003 Meisselbach Price Guide (nearly 20 years old) values the 750 "Castwell" model at $85 for a collector quality reel in VG-EX condition.
bcarley215
Big ORCA Fan

Post by bcarley215 »

Joe,

Sent you an email with an offer!

Brian
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Got your PM with offer... I'll take it! I sent a PM with info. Thanks! Best---- JoeW