Picked these up on eBay

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Picked these up on eBay

Post by Mike N »

A former national casting champion and Hall of Famer recently listed some tournament casting items for sale and I was lucky enough to pick up this distance casting reel, and 8 custom handmade tournament spools with separate shafts. Two of the spools are aluminum, three are wood composite, two are wood/aluminum and one appears to be magnesium. I also purchased two large spindles of the thin spider line, the first time I’ve ever seen any.
The casting reel and each of the spools came with their own first-class, hand-sewn rawhide leather case (see below).

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Picked these up on eBay

Post by RonG »

That's a great buy Mike. The tournament caster looks like he was very serious about casting and had all sorts of mods he could make to the reel. Did you by chance ask the seller if there were any of the medals or other items from the caster's early casting days?
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

These little reels and their spools really are works of art.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

You realize why they call it spider line when you unravel a bit and then see that the spools come in 24,000 and 20,000 yard sizes.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:04 pm That's a great buy Mike. The tournament caster looks like he was very serious about casting and had all sorts of mods he could make to the reel. Did you by chance ask the seller if there were any of the medals or other items from the caster's early casting days?
Ron, I did not, but I will message him to ask if he will be listing other items.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Wow! That's a great acquisition Mike.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Great score, Mike! Sure fits nice into your displays. That line is great to look at but i’d be too much of a chicken to try and cast it!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Way to go Mike !

You are building quite a nice collection.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Love the crazy homemade reels. Nice find Mike!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Just a note on the marking of the size of the nylon on the spools. The marking of 24,000 means that there are 24,000 yards per ounce. It means the line is very, very thin. When it is spooling onto spools, it is very hard to see. I have small spools marked with 20,000 and 24,000. I understand casters stopped with 28,000. A cast only counted if the line did not break off, and of course it frequently did. But I was surprised at how strong 20,000 line actually is.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

That’s great info, Matt.

What size casting weight would they use for the spider line to keep it moving but not break it in distance events?

Thanks

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I spoke with Colby Sorrels, and change my post to the number of ounces rather than pound, sorry for the mistake. 24,000 marking means 24,000 yards per ounce. Maybe we need to weigh some line to prove that, but that is what we think at this juncture.

It is important to understand that when casting the unrestricted distance with spiderweb line on light spools, the shock leader would consist of some feet of stone monofilament (say 15 lb) and some feet of silk or nylon thread of say 5 lb test, followed by the spiderweb line. The exact formulas are documented, and we can post some for the various events and weights. The spiderweb was known as a trailer line, sometimes referred to as a kite line. It just connected the caster/reel to the weight, it was not involved in the casting action.

The events for unrestricted distance revolving spool were 5/8 revolving spool, 3/8 revolving spool. But there were also fixed spool distance and surf events that used the term unrestricted that did not involve spider line. It is pretty convoluted.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
blf
Frequent Board Poster

Post by blf »

mike: if the reels came from Cinn, ask him if he know's who mfg them.
pretty sure i know who. marks on spool to hold were only 1 gentleman.
no 1 told me about rubber/leather thumbing devices. still have scar on thumb. happened at my 1st national. almost could not compete.

f.y.i. wooden spool were gone before my time. old timers from 30's/40's used to talk about spool bursting during the cast. ouch.
aluminum came next
then magnesium Bill Burke told me he blew up several magnesium spool's.
believe he stopped and tried ball bearing's which were never competitive.

cheers
b.l.f.