Strange nut on Pflueger

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Vincetubbolardi
Big ORCA Fan

Strange nut on Pflueger

Post by Vincetubbolardi »

Hi Team!
I have this old Skilkast reel I'm detailing and I don't recognize this nut. Its the one holding on the lever
All the ones I've seen have a slot for a flat head driver. This one has two spaces in it. The fittings inside seem to be springs so I thought of a key possibly? All the research I've done has come up empty so I figured I'd look for a professional. Can I just "wrench" this off or do I need to get crafty and use a "key". Don't want to break something. Thanks.
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Re: Strange nut on Pflueger

Post by joe klaus »

I’ve had quite a few pflueger pass through my hands, but I don’t recall dealing with that handle nut. Admittedly, it has been many many years since I have dealt with a skill cast. Therefore, perhaps I have just forgotten about something that is common.

Have you removed those two tiny screws in the middle of the nut?
Vincetubbolardi
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Vincetubbolardi »

joe klaus wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:07 pm I’ve had quite a few pflueger pass through my hands, but I don’t recall dealing with that handle nut. Admittedly, it has been many many years since I have dealt with a skill cast. Therefore, perhaps I have just forgotten about something that is common.

Have you removed those two tiny screws in the middle of the nut?
I don't have a driver small enough for those. But those are the things that act like springs. They depress and return so that's why I thought key.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

...looks like an Ocean City bearing cap. Guess go with what works. Tight lines Nick n NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

good eye Nick
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Surprised it fit. Or maybe it didn’t. Hope the threads on the gear post aren’t buggered.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Please show us the reel when you finish re-habbing it. Gonna be a challenge which I am sure you will manage!

Cheers! Bad Bob
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

It is the end cap from a GE Shakespeare Marhoff.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.