Need help w/Shake twin screw reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Need help w/Shake twin screw reel

Post by Reelman2 »

I have 2 Style B Shake reels and I need some guidance. I have one that did work just fine. The other one would work ok until the line guide got to the end of the worm gear and then it would catch. So I took the other one that was working fine apart. Now it is doing the same thing. I think it must be some sort of adjustment problem. I first thought that the pin that goes through the line guide must be too short or something but that is not the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Need help w/Shake twin screw reel

Post by john elder »

This is usually a problem with the pawl, either excessive wear or just wrong fht. As silly as it sounds, you might try removing and turning the pawl 180 degrees in the reel that was working fine and isn’t now. Maybe there is biased wear that will resolve. I was thinking that the pawl normally rotated as it travels, but maybe not… worth a try!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Did you align the index marks on the drive gears?
The Style C has dots punched into the brass gears where they align, but the B has a V shaped arrow that aligns with a straight line on the other gear. If these are not indexed exactly the twin screws will either jam right away or after a few revolutions depending on how far off the index you are.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Reelman2- did you get the answer you needed from Dr. John or myself? Inquiring minds want to know, or at least I would like to know if your problem is fixed or if you found another solution?
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

Yes, I finally got it fixed. I didn't have the gears lined up correctly and now it works fine. Now if I can only find a nut for the handle.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member