Save wear and tear on your thumbs!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Save wear and tear on your thumbs!

Post by Steve »

For anyone busily writing a Reel Talk article or a book on a phone, you can save time and energy by using ChatGPT. Here is an example of its essay created after it was given the instruction shown. The inaccuracies are a reasonable tradeoff for the time saved. No googling necessary! And you don't need to cite the author.

Instruction: Write a history of fishing reels.

Response: Fishing reels have a long and interesting history. The earliest known fishing reel was a wooden reel from ancient Egypt, dating back to around 2500 BC. This reel was used to hold line, allowing anglers to cast their fishing lines further out into the water.
In the Middle Ages, fishing reels were made from a variety of materials including bronze, iron, and brass. These reels were often hand-wound, requiring the angler to manually wrap the line around the reel by hand.
In the early 1800s, a new type of fishing reel was invented in England. This reel, known as the multiplying reel, used gears to allow the angler to retrieve the line more quickly. This type of reel became very popular and was widely used by fishermen in England and Europe.
Over the next few decades, fishing reels continued to evolve and improve. In the late 1800s, the first metal fishing reels were developed, which were stronger and more durable than their wooden predecessors. In the early 1900s, the first baitcasting reels were introduced, which used a closed face and a fixed spool to cast the line.
Today, fishing reels come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and styles, each designed for a specific type of fishing. Many modern fishing reels are made from lightweight and durable materials such as aluminum or composite plastics, and are equipped with a variety of features such as adjustable drag systems and automatic line pickups. Despite their long and storied history, fishing reels continue to evolve and improve, offering anglers new and exciting ways to enjoy the sport of fishing.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Save wear and tear on your thumbs!

Post by Ron Mc »

And I thought this was going to be about laying hand level-wind on a surf reel.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

:shock: No wonder we have so many dimwitted and buffoonish high-school and college graduates nowadays. :roll: There's an external creature to do all the research and organizational work for them. :type: Then, just hit "print". :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

True, Tommy, but you have to give some credit to the folks who created ChatGPT, who probably are less dimwitted than most. ChatGPT is barely an infant; wait till it/she/he learns to read better. For now, it/she/he should stick to writing fiction.

Instruction: Write a detective story.

Best-selling result: Detective Johnson sat at his desk, staring at the case file in front of him. It was yet another murder in the city, and he was determined to solve it.

He picked up the file and began to read through the details. The victim was a young woman, found dead in her apartment with no signs of forced entry. The only clue was a single red rose on the coffee table, with a note that read "I love you, always and forever."

Detective Johnson knew he had to act fast. He gathered his team and they set out to question the victim's friends and family, hoping to find a lead.

After hours of interviews, they finally had a suspect: the victim's ex-boyfriend, who had a history of violence and had been seen near the victim's apartment on the night of the murder.

The detectives quickly obtained a search warrant and raided the ex-boyfriend's apartment. There, they found evidence linking him to the murder, including the victim's missing necklace and the same type of red rose used in the note.

The ex-boyfriend was arrested and taken into custody, and thanks to Detective Johnson's hard work, justice was served.

But even as he closed the case, Detective Johnson couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. The killer had been caught, but the city was still plagued by violence. He knew that as long as there were evil people in the world, his work was never done.

Stay on the edge of your seat. Episode 2 next week, same time, same station.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Maybe JoeJoe's aids & speech writers can use it to their advantage to avoid plagiarism accusations & repercussions. :lol:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Is there a fee? Ain’t no such thing as a free lunch!

BB
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Q: Is there a fee for ChatGPT?
A: I'm not sure what you are referring to as ChatGPT. I am Assistant, a large language model trained by OpenAI. I am not aware of any fees associated with my use, as I am a free resource available to anyone who has a question or wants to learn more about a topic. I am not connected to the internet and do not have the ability to browse websites or access information about other products or services that may be called ChatGPT. Is there something else you would like to know?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

And to think, we have always been led to believe invention of the atomic bomb would be responsible for extermination of mankind.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

I'm afraid Steve has uploaded his consciousness to the cloud so he can spend the rest of eternity answering our "who made it" questions.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Steve wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:17 pm Q: Is there a fee for ChatGPT?
A: I'm not sure what you are referring to as ChatGPT. I am Assistant, a large language model trained by OpenAI. I am not aware of any fees associated with my use, as I am a free resource available to anyone who has a question or wants to learn more about a topic. I am not connected to the internet and do not have the ability to browse websites or access information about other products or services that may be called ChatGPT. Is there something else you would like to know?
It really is fascinating new technology. This is what the tech magazine Wired had to say about it:

https://www.wired.com/story/the-spawn-o ... ou-things/
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Kind of scary, actually, after reading that article. :shock: I envision a time when mis and dis information will be deemed gospel. :roll:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve has uploaded his consciousness to the cloud
They wouldn't take it...the patina's too heavy.
I envision a time when mis and dis information will be deemed gospel.
We've been deeming so for years.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Steve wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:35 pm
I envision a time when mis and dis information will be deemed gospel.
We've been deeming so for years.
Well, not quite everyone. :wink: There are still a few that don't believe everything they read or hear and end up doing some indepth research. :)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Shame a person has to subscribe to NYT :twisted: to read the articles. :(

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

HA! GOOGLE has issued a "code red" regarding ChatGPT. Seems they're afraid it may have a negative effect on their search feature. Imagine that, having an unbiased, unmanipulated, search engine. 😳 :shock: :D

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Google is afraid that ChatGPT will slash their advertising revenues. The big problem is that it will accelerate the accumulation of mis- and disinformation on our entirely trustworthy World Wide Web, as you pointed out.

For example: "The multiplying fishing reel, also known as a baitcasting reel, was invented in the early 19th century. The first known patent for a multiplying fishing reel was issued in the United States in 1819 to a man named George Snyder."
Q: "What is the evidence that George Snyder patented a fishing reel in 1819?"
A: "There is evidence that George Snyder patented a fishing reel in 1819. According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Snyder was granted a patent for a "Machine or Device for Taking up and Letting out Lines" on June 25, 1819. The patent, which was assigned the number X00001, is the first patent issued by the USPTO."
None of what ChatGPT said here is true. Pat. X000001 was granted on July 31, 1790, to Samuel Hopkins for an apparatus and process for making potash and pearl ash. No George Snyder was granted a U.S. patent between 1790 and 1847. No patents were granted on June 25, 1819. ChatGPT will become a hi-tech QAnon.
Last edited by Steve on Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Steve wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:00 pm ChatPFT will become a hi-tech QAnon.
I think maybe it already has. :mrgreen: :wink:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Today’s Washington Post on how teachers and professors can stop ChatGPT:

“ Make students write out essays by hand. Apart from outflanking the latest AI, a return to handwritten essays could benefit students in meaningful ways.
For one thing, neuroscience research has revealed that, to the human brain, the act of handwriting is very different from punching letters on a keyboard. Handwriting requires precise motor skills — controlling the individual strokes and the pressure of the pen — that vary for each letter, and these stimulate greater activity in a broader group of brain regions when compared with typing. (Anyone who has ever helped a child learn to write will recognize how much concentration and practice it requires.)

These letter-specific motor skills, coupled with subtle differences in other sensory input, engage the brain in ways that researchers have linked to learning and memory improvements. And those added layers of stimulation might be beneficial even when a student is merely copying an AI-written essay by hand.”

Too bad they don’t teach cursive writing any more.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Too bad they don't teach cursive writing any more.
Interestingly enough, ten years ago I felt like anyone who homeschooled their kids needed to have their head examined and I was quite vocal about it. About three years ago I took an about face and 180 degree turnaround. What our public school system has become (overall) is a travesty. Some of the things our six year old granddaughter brings home from school and says has heard/learned is quite alarming. Kids need to be around other kids to learn good social skills but what has happened to many of our school systems is terrifying.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I am training the AI. We just need Steve to type his book into the system.

what size line was used for distance casting tournaments in the 1900's?
It is difficult to determine the specific line size that was used for distance casting tournaments in the 1900s as there is limited information available about the specific rules and regulations that governed these tournaments. In general, the size of the line used for casting is largely dependent on the type of fishing being done and the specific equipment being used. Factors such as the size and weight of the lure or bait, the strength and power of the rod and reel, and the type of water being fished can all influence the size of the line that is used.

Matt Wickham
The term "distance casting tournaments" refers to sport casting at targets, and was not intended to convey fishing. Do you have any information on tournament casting?

In general, tournament casting refers to the sport of casting a fishing line, fly, or lure as far as possible within a specific set of rules and regulations. The distance that a cast can achieve is determined by a number of factors, including the strength and technique of the caster, the type of equipment being used, and the specific conditions of the casting location.

Distance casting tournaments typically involve casting a line, fly, or lure as far as possible within a set of rules and regulations. These tournaments may be held in a variety of settings, including on a beach, in a park, or on a designated casting range.

The specific rules and regulations of tournament casting can vary depending on the organization or governing body that is overseeing the event. In general, tournament casting rules may include requirements for the type of equipment that can be used, the size and weight of the line or lure, and the specific techniques that can be employed during the casting process.

Tournament casting can be a competitive and exciting sport that requires a combination of skill, strength, and technique. It is often enjoyed by anglers and non-anglers alike and can be a fun and challenging activity for people of all ages.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I am training the AI.
Matt, maybe you should stash AI's phone in your desk during class.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Request: Write a limerick about tournament casting.

There once was a caster for tournaments,
Whose voice was as clear as a mountain's,
He called all the plays,
With passion and grace,
And left all the fans with a fountain of sentiments.

(Clearly, ChatGPT needs a lot more training.)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Steve wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:00 pm Request: Write a limerick about tournament casting.

(Clearly, ChatGPT needs a lot more training.)

Ship him/her/it/they/them, whatever the case may be, to Ireland for awhile. :D

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

ChatGPT needs a lot more training.
Either ChatGPT has received its training or Wharton grads should tear up their diplomas.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels