Identify a spool...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
dwquigley
Big ORCA Fan

Identify a spool...

Post by dwquigley »

Good afternoon, all... Am respectfully asking for help, please, in identifying a spare spool that I have. Thought it was for a 5/6 Golden Prince.

Dimensions are 3 1/4 inches front; 2 3/4 inches back; 1 inch width. The color matches the Golden Prince perfectly, with a golden ring on the outside front and a golden lock release. The gearing is recessed 1/2 inch on the spool back side, within a 1 1/8th inch circular inverted cylinder. It surrounds the center post reel shaft female receiver with tooth count of 32 on the gear ring positioned on the bottom of the cylinder.

I am including pics of my GP 5/6 reel, along with front, back, and side views of the two spools. The unidentified one will not fit onto the reel shaft. The OD is too big to slide inside the reel. In fact, both the reel OD and the spool ODs appear to match. My sincere gratitude for your assistance!....dale

Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Identify a spool...

Post by Eric J »

It must be a spool for the 7/8 Golden Prince.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+1
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

couldn't be for anything else

Great reels with unique balance because of the spool backplate position right against the frame backplate.
Most fly reels have the spool offset outward from the backplate.

dwquigley
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dwquigley »

Thank you so much Eric, John and Ron! Really appreciate your help!!

And Ron, please share with me what that attractive red grease is that you are using on your reels and spools. I'm looking for a good lubricant. Best...dale
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Ron's red is most likely Hot Sauce, but I'm sure he'll be along to fill you in. If you are looking something top notch for fresh and/or salt water it doesn't get much better or versatile than Super Lube Multi Purpose Synthetic. Not only is it many reel techs' first choice but it's also dielectric and food grade.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

ok, got back today - I've been sick for a week.
Thanks Tom, that's it.
Hot Sauce Grease is kind of a legend for fly reel drag gears, and anathema for baitcast gears.

First off, it was developed by Zebco in their salt-spray cabinets - it was first reported by Col Milt Lorens on this forum.
It never waxes, never stiffens, and won't decompose and corrode your valuable antiques.

Part of what makes is so valuable on fly reel drag gears is its low viscosity, the same thing that makes it insufficient for modern 8:1 baitcast gearing.
Shimano USA was voiding warranties on alloy gears any time they opened them and saw red.

My HD baitcasters get MTCW grease, MTGG-B for freshwater, and stiffer MTGG-SW for salt.
dwquigley
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dwquigley »

Tons of thank you's to Ron and Tom for the "lube lessons"! Really appreciate it. Best....dale