Lure Retrievers aka Plug Knockers

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Lure Retrievers aka Plug Knockers

Post by kyreels »

I have collected odd Lure Retrievers over the years, starting when my Father-in-law gave me one he made from brass in the old Louisville Refrigeration workshop. I managed to accumulate a case of them over 25 years, but I don't find them very often. A favorite of the TVA lakes is the classic Hound Dog lead weight shaped like a dog. I ran across one of the nicest ones I have seen recently in Pigeon Forge. It had US Patent no 2316500 stamped into the body, which was painted a nice verde green color. The size is very large for these devices,15 inches wide.

My collection of other ones all fit in a case 12 x 18 ", so I may have to get a larger case.

I enjoyed reading the patents, which actually are not just the stamped one, but two patents cover this particular model US2316500, US2397916. The large weight was an option in the 1946 patent, which the inventor notes could be used as a hammer or fish billy, and optionally detached when packing for a trip and substituted with a rock in the field. I can really see this old fisher/trapper out in the field depending on this device optimized for multiple uses.

If you run across any of these, particularly the Hardy version, I would be interested in them.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Lure Retrievers aka Plug Knockers

Post by RonG »

That is truly an unusual and interesting collection. I wasn't aware of a lot of those that you've shown.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

That is a really cool collection, Matt. Wish I had thought to collect those 30 years ago.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Nifty. Interesting to see the variety of ideas. Ive made a few of my own, but only tested/used one.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Very cool, Matthew.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990