The Thompson reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
J.Jordan
Big ORCA Fan

The Thompson reel

Post by J.Jordan »

New to your forum and wanted to share a recent purchase of mine. After years away from any sort of fishing, 20+ to be honest. I decided to get back into fly fishing. I found this Thompson reel at my local flea market. At the time I beat beat the seller down to 25 bucks from 40, why would I pay that much for an old reel I thought. I wanted it for a rod I had purchased a week before (at the same flea market). It said made in San Jose CA. that's fairly local to me and seamed like a good excuse to get it. After getting home and doing some research I discovered that is isn't a very common reel made between 45 and 46 (I think) and way more valuable than I paid for it. But the information is limited and I haven't been able to find a current price. Can any of you fine folks help me out with the value and some history? I am still planning on putting it to use but now it will be on a bamboo rod I am currently restoring.
J.Jordan
Big ORCA Fan

Re: The Thompson reel

Post by J.Jordan »

RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: The Thompson reel

Post by RonG »

In the ORCA Members Only section in the ORCA website, there are two fairly comprehensive articles written about Thompson reels. You have to be a member to access them though. Now may be a good time to join and get all the benefits that come with it. https://www.orcaonline.org/product-cate ... embership/