Inherited fishing gear

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Inherited fishing gear

Post by NitnacB »

Gentlemen,

Newby to the forum and have question on reels that I have inherited from my father.
There are 16 reels in the collection and only 3 have limited or no identification, the others I have been researching for over a month now.
I can post the reels needing identification one at a time if that would be easier.
Starting with a frankenstein reel that has no manufacturer stamp or identification on it but has a different drag system that may be recognizable to someone. I believe the foot is originally from an Edward Vom Hofe reel but the rest of the reel is unknown. any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Bob
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Inherited fishing gear

Post by Steve »

Welcome aboard, Bob. It's hard to tell what's going on in that reel. The machinery in the spool flange makes me wonder if drag is produced by turning the spool one way, while turning it the other way releases the drag pressure.

Meanwhile, the machinery on the tailplate needs some explanation and maybe some photos from other angles. It looks as if the outside knob tightens what could be a drum brake, but there's obviously a lot more to it, maybe a click as well? What engages all those notches on the inner surface of that ring? Any hint that some parts are missing?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Hi Bob, With parts like that you're off to a great start! It appears someone made the side plates on your reel and incorporated the Hofe parts. Even as a Frankenstein reel your looking at several hundred dollars! If that's the beater of the bunch I can just imagine the quality of the others...keep them coming. Tight lines Nick n NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

Hi Steve,

On the spool the little spring that would fit inside the drum brake provides the "click or buzz" and the brake is the outer band that is tightened around the drum. much like drum brakes on a car. The outer knob (second picture) tightens the band. The drag brake works really well as it does provide a lot of resistance when reversing direction.
Sorry, I am not that well versed on reels, just what I have learned cleaning up the reels. My father would have explained it much better. Growing up I was more interested in anything with a motor so did not get the fishing gene that dad had.
i can provide picture with max drag versus no drag if you would like.
The reel probably does not have much value as it looks like a mix of parts. I also have 3 Edward Vom Hofe reels, 504 4/0 (with leather case), 423 6/0 and 550 1/0) in the collection and none of them have that drag system.
It is my understanding that my grandfather always used this reel when he fished the Restigouche.
Btw, we were brought up on the Restigouche River and dad had a sporting goods store where he specialized in fishing, hunting and hockey etc.
Cheers,
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

So I will add some pictures of the best reel in the collection and maybe someone will identify it.

Just kidding, this is the worst of the bunch and looks like something that came out of an arcade machine as a prize :)

No identifying marks on this reel!

I will keep posting pictures of the other reels.

Cheers,
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

The answer to who made the first reel can be found by clicking on this link.

https://luresnreels.com/schrall.html
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The answer to who made the first reel...
Well, that saves some commentary from ChatGTP!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

Hi Ron,

Well that changes things a little.
This reel would be the Char-Lem and possibly EVH modification without the black rubber sides?
So would this be a rare collectable item with the exception of the broken foot?

thanks for the information!

Cheers
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

More reel pictures,
This is possibly H.L. Leonard made by Julius Vom Hofe???

it is missing 2 screws for the foot but other than that it is nice little reel. Could possibly be polished a bit more but would that reduce the desirability of the reel? I have read that some like them to sparkle and some want the patina.

Cheers, Bob
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

Edward Vom Hofe reel,
EVH 504 4/0 Tobique with leather case. Pat date may 20,02

It was in great shape before it was cleaned up some more.

Bob
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

Edward Vom Hofe 550 1/0 3 1/4
Pat Date July 14-96

This reel needed only minimum cleaning and some polish.

Bob
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

EVH 423 6/0 Restigouche
Pat Date May 20 02

This one needed a great deal of cleaning, it was very dirty and took a day or so to get it to this point.
It was well used and as per pictures of the cross bars caught a few fish on the Restigouche.
I am pretty sure this was my dad's favorite reel.
That's it for tonight, I will post more tomorrow.
Cheers, Bob
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have been reading a number of different posts about the reels and selling them.
Is it proper etiquette to post them for sale here first and if so what is the proper procedure? Post reels individually in For Sale section?
As to price, is it common to not provide asking price? I do not have enough experience with the reels to determine proper grading (I don't know how much play in spool is considered sloppy). Is Ebay the best place for values and where do you get values on reels like the Schrall Char-Lem?
Is it possible to sell "as a lot"?
I do not fish nor will I start now so the entire collection will be sold and the proceeds divided between the grand children.
Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Cantin
Moncton NB
Canada
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Bob,

Check out this link to give you some ideas on pricing your reels. Just like any antique, the reels' condition means a lot to their value. Some of your reels have issues. Some do not.

viewtopic.php?t=23910

They are your reels and you can sell them anyway you want by posting under the "Wanted/For Sale" section of this message board. You'll probably do better by selling them individually.

Ron
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Wow... what a great lot of reels! Even with the damaged foot that reels an oddity and rare! I'm sure someone would love to have an example regardless of it's faults. The second reel appears very early and desirable I'd be interested in knowing what the knob on the rear plate does... should it apply a brake that too would be a very desirable piece and rare! As a lot I can see the value close to $6,500... nice reels!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

Hi Nick,

The knob just turns the clicker on/off and does apply a little drag as a result.
The reel seems to work great and i assumed that it was some sort of cheap reproduction because of the look of the foot and that it is riveted (might not be the right word) together.
Either way I will be cleaning it up some more and maybe polishing it up to be pretty, unless that is taboo ???

Is it possible that it is collectable? And who would have made it?

Cheers,
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

The Frankenreel appears to have a modern Marryat drag knob.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Hi Bob, Leave the reels as they are... I'm seeing over polish and stretched polish marks extended into the hard rubber.... Yes I'd be interested in making an offer on the lot. Tight lines Nick n NY (PM or email me).
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Bob,
Thanks for posting photos of these interesting reels. I’m particularly interested in the photo of the mangled reel foot which I repost here. Any hint or an explanation how it came to look this way? I’ve seen reels in every imaginable condition, but this foot looks like it was beyond having been even crudely filed to fit a reel seat.

Mike N.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

Hi Mike,

Ron Gast provided the answer to what the reel is,
https://luresnreels.com/schrall.html
As to how the foot got to be in that condition, I have no idea. This was supposedly my grandfathers favourite reel and the foot probably got broken some time after his death.
Cheers,
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Mike, What usually causes that is that the reel gets left on the rod for an extended period (ie, years) then gets destroyed when someone gets over exuberant in trying to remove it. I assume its aluminum and thats the kinda thing that happens… it doesn’t want to bent, just break. ( NOT accusing you of that, Bob!… happened some time in its history)
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
NitnacB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by NitnacB »

Update,
The entire collection of reels and rods from my father has been sold.
Many thanks to all for the help!

Cheers,
Bob Cantin