Bailess reel question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
snubnose57
Frequent Board Poster

Bailess reel question

Post by snubnose57 »

Just added a Swiss Fix It reel to the collection. I have never had a reel like this before.
To cast, lifting the line off the pin makes sense to be able to cast.
My question is how to get the line back on the pin to start the retrieve.
Have been playing around, but there must be a trick I need to learn.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Bailess reel question

Post by john elder »

There is a group of folks that like to fish with reels set up without bail. One of the favorite reels to convert are the older green Penns… in fact, i think the earliest ones were sold as bail-less. Hey Tommy! You must know about these!

The other one commonly converted are the little Alcedo Micron reels. I know this doesn’t answer your “how” question, but i think these guys have decided its a measure of your manhood :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You manually take the line off the guide to cast and you have to manually put the line back on the line guide to retrieve it. It becomes second nature once you get used to the procedure, although I don't fish bail less. I prefer a full bail, but a lot of surf fishermen swear by the bail less option. The Fix reels are from the late '40 s & early '50s. Their painted finish didn't wear very well. The majority either have no paint left or most of it has peeled off. They came in right or left hand retrieve and in manual pickup, half bail and full bail. The half bail is kind of hard to come by.

Here you can see all three styles, and also how poorly the paint wears. Just washing them in warm water & soap will peel the paint. Click on the photos to enlarge them.

Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
snubnose57
Frequent Board Poster

Post by snubnose57 »

Thanks for the info. Guess I need to be quick on the draw to fish with this reel.
gadabout
Advanced Board Poster

Post by gadabout »

It’s pretty easy and becomes second nature once you get the hang of it. At the end of your cast, let the index finger of your rod-holding hand brush against the line as it’s coming off the spool. When the lure lands, hook the line with that finger. Then as you turn the reel handle, let the pickup catch the line being held by your index finger.

Sounds complicated, but it’s actually very simple. It has a lot of advantages. One of which is that you can eliminate all slack line at end of the cast (especially when there’s a lot of wind) and be immediately in touch with the lure. And of course there will be no unexpected closings of the bail in the middle of a cast, sending a $25 plug sailing off to the the horizon. And no broken bail springs to worry about. And last, but not least, many secretive nighttime surf fishermen prefer them because the sound of a closing bail would give away their location.