Randy, you've been hacked

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Randy, you've been hacked

Post by Richard Lodge »

Randy Anderson - Looks like your email has been hacked. I got a fake message from you about gift cards.
Richard
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Randy, you've been hacked

Post by John Savu »

I got one also. Randy is much more articulate !!

Hope you're keeping safe out there? Need to ask a favor, waiting for your email as I'm currently unavailable over the phone.

Best Regards,
Randy
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I got one too. I emailed him back and asked him to send me his address and I'll FedEx a gift card to him. No response.

Actually, Randy's email was not hacked. The email that you received was not Randy's actual email, but one with the same email user name, but a different .com

Ron
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 pm I got one too. I emailed him back and asked him to send me his address and I'll FedEx a gift card to him. No response.

Actually, Randy's email was not hacked. The email that you received was not Randy's actual email, but one with the same email user name, but a different .com

Ron
Ron is 100% correct. It’s not hacking, it’s “spoofing.”

Spoofing typically relies on two elements – the spoof itself, such as a faked email or website, and then the social engineering aspect, which nudges victims to take action. For example, spoofers may send an email that appears to come from a trusted senior co-worker or manager, asking you to transfer some money online and providing a convincing rationale for the same.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990