One more

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

One more

Post by klonder »

Here's another tiny 1-1/2" reel for consideration. This one is mostly aluminum with ns? pillars and spool arbor. I first thought a one time amateur build for fun but upon dissasembly I noticed a "production" quality and consistancy about the parts. The foot and spool ends are stamped indicating to me that more were made.
Curious to know your thoughts. Thanks.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: One more

Post by Mike N »

I’m assuming it is a bench-made reel by a very talented home machinist. I love the simplicity of the parts layout and of course any aluminum reel is very cool. The one piece foot that locks into the two face plates via tabs and not screws was probably inspired by an early Hendryx or Trowbridge-stamped reel. The thimble-shaped click button is neat and the small trout size is yet another plus. The elegant “s” handle is a nice design touch. Thanks for posting photos of that great reel.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The screws appear to be square-threaded, but it's hard to be sure from highly-magnified pics. Unusual, IMHO.

Commercial development of aluminum got going in the mid-nineteenth century, well before electrolytic purification slashed the cost. Clerk & Co. and Conroy were both alleged to have shown/made aluminum reels, but they almost certainly were made of some alloy like aluminum bronze. Anyway, the reel would be post-Civil War, based on the use of aluminum, pre-1900, based on the style. Many reels with those clamped feet seem to be raised-pillar, rather than round.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

I believe the foot on this Edwards Mrg. Co. No.30 aluminium fly reel is the same, iding my reel as an Edwards. Thoughts?