Hook keepers on reels?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Hook keepers on reels?

Post by Richard Lodge »

I stumbled across an interesting thread on one of the Classic Fly Rod Forum chat groups about hook keepers on rods. One guy noted he had been reading the 1927 book "With the Trout Fly" by Ladd Plumley, in which the author suggested an alternative to hook keepers on rods. Put it on the reel, of course! :D

I post this a) to possibly stir interest from some of our avid patent researchers; b) to broaden the category of curious things anglers come up with when the fish aren't biting, etc.; or c) to find out if there have been reels manufactured with actual hook keepers on them (not just a pillar that might be used as one). Just curious.... :wink:

Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Hook keepers on reels?

Post by Steve »

Although Payson's device represents one of the 20th-century's major engineering feats, I don't understand why a fisherman would want a hookkeeper added to his reel, indispensable or not.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

I agree, Steve. Seems more likely to get in the way than to be helpful. Plenty of places on a standard fly rod to hook a fly for safe keeping. But I was putting this out for discussion purposes. Unless, of course, it just ain't worth it. :bricks:
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I was putting this out for discussion purposes. Unless, of course, it just ain't worth it.
Everything about reels is worth discussing, like this other major engineering feat :shock::

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

This little hole at the end of the lever on the 1923 Shakespeare Automatics was a hook keeper.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

This little 1868 patent Bradley reel has what appears to be a hook keeper, positioned under the frame, out of the way - provided you don't overfill the spool with line.

Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Wonderful examples, Steve, Eric and Jim! Subtle hookkeepers we might not have noticed. I've had a fair share of decent fly rods with digs in the cork where some previous owner/angler stuck in the hook, either for lack of a hookkeeper or an inability to think creatively about which guide to hook the hook to. :doh:
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I don't understand why a fisherman would want a hookkeeper added to his reel, indispensable or not.
I personally am of the camp of wanting a hook keeper on any rod/reel combo I use. I prefer it on the rod, but apparently rod makers are not all accommodating. I was not aware of any reel having a keeper prior to this post.

The "reason" is that I am lazy and hate breaking down rods for transportation and want to just throw it in the back on the carpet where it always gets hung up with the hook. Keeping hooks out of fingers, carpet, ears and such are reasons enough.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Everett Garrison stopped putting hook keepers on his bamboo rods after a customer accidentally impaled himself in the hand with a large salmon hook. Many of the early Shakespeare bamboo’s don’t have hook keeper’s and I suspect it was to cut costs.
But I agree….sticking the hook into the cork of a nice rod is an abomination. Maybe a rare earth magnet imbedded into the cork would work?
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Richard Lodge wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:47 pm Wonderful examples, Steve, Eric and Jim! Subtle hookkeepers we might not have noticed. I've had a fair share of decent fly rods with digs in the cork where some previous owner/angler stuck in the hook, either for lack of a hookkeeper or an inability to think creatively about which guide to hook the hook to. :doh:
Indeed!!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Don’t forgot the spinning reel enthusiasts:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990