Need help with this Vom Hofe:

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Need help with this Vom Hofe:

Post by bamboocollector11 »

I am unable to get the spool and handle off of this Julius Vom Hofe. Backside came off easily, and I thought the spool would easily come off, but I was wrong.

Any ideas and help are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Need help with this Vom Hofe:

Post by Nick in NY »

Use a piece of leather to lock up the gears AND reverse the handle...everything should disassemble without a problem. The handles keeping it all together. Tight lines Nick in New York PS if unable, add little heat to center of handle housing and reverse handle
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the help, that worked like a charm to remove the handle. I still can nit remove the spool, so I can disassemble the rest of the reel. Any ideas?
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Hi Nick,

Just an FYI - the gear now spins independent of the shaft turning. Hope I didn't do something wrong.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

It’s possible it may need to be re peened but impossible to tell without being in hand...next step is Dr. Elder! I’m sure he can take it home...
Tight Lines Nick
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

It’s possible it may need a drop or 2 of Aero Kroil. I’m thinking the spool shafts spinning in the bearing. Again so hard to tell without being in hand....
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Thanks Nick!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ed, if you mean the gear that we see in your pics, that is an adjustable “soft drag” that can be tightened or loosened to provide a bit of drag when the line is pulled out with reel out of gear… no prob there. As to being stuck, the spindle is stuck in the face plate and as Nick said, Kroil soak and maybe heat on the spindle will likely free it. If it persists, you can send it out and i will see what’s up.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Hi John,

Finished the reel. Never got the spindle loose. Used the vinegar and water bath on the spool by placing it only so deep in the bath. When I put the reel back together the gear was just like you said-no damage.

Thanks for the help!
Ed