JVH Railed Pillar

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

JVH Railed Pillar

Post by seruga »

I took apart this JVH raised pillar reel to clean it over the weekend.
The ride side plate is marked Julius Vom Hofe Pat Jun 15 86 Oct 8 89 Brooklyn N.Y.
There are no markings on the left side plate
It has hard rubber side plates and appears to be silver
The handle is throwing me off. It looks to be nickle silver. I am wondering if it is a replacement
The spool gear is pressed on. I can't figure out what advantage there was to doing this. It makes it exceedingly difficult to clean and service.
The foot is marked 1
The frame and the inside of the right side plate are engraved with the number 39. After reading the Jun 15 86 patent these numbers make complete sense. I am assuming the frame was separated from the side plate after vulcanizing. The frame went one way for further assembly and the side plate went another way to be finished. They were then later matched up for final assembly.
I am having trouble dating the reel. There is a reel that looks similar in the 1914 catalog but, once again, the handle is throwing me off.
Any information someone might have regarding this casting reel would be appreciated.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: JVH Railed Pillar

Post by john elder »

Hi, and welcome. These reels were usually plated brass as is the one i have and ones i’ve worked on, but it sometimes seems Julius never did the same thing twice. Most also have an S-shaped plated handle. Can’t see enough of yours to tell, but may be straight and nickel silver?

That gear is pressed on but should come off if you want. The spindle is square and you can see corrosion on its edges that makes it look like its not. If you lightly file the top of the gear, it will remove some of that corrosion. If you get one of those “gear pullers” sold at automotive stores for pulling anode and cathode wires off car batteries, you should be able to take it off. Encourage it first by treating overnight with Kroil or another liquid wrench-type treatment.

Hope this helps! Please report in.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Here's a few of the same model, each sporting a different handle!! All have the same diamond shaped crank but different grasp and counter weight styling!
John gets it.
The handle on your reel appears to be from a JVH "Ocean B" 250yd, if the foot is marked with a '1/0'. The brass one in the photos is marked with a '1' on the foot, a #261-200yd. All have different numbers stamped on the head plate foot 'tab' and a matching number on the medial surface of the drive gear.
I've been trying to id/catalogue all my reels lately and have experienced the same confusion!
Welcome to the jungle.

Last edited by klonder on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Those reels were made for over twenty-five years. Differences should be expected.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

Thank you all for the encouragement, images and useful information. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to read the post and respond.
I decided to keep the spool gear pressed on. The clicker spring was corroded and a piece broke off during soaking. I will put that repair on the to do list. Too bad about he handle. I will keep looking for something more suitable in the hope I find something.
Overall the reel is not the best example but it sure is a beautiful well built machine. It was a pleasure to work on it.
Hats off to the maker!!

Last edited by kyreels on Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.