Coxe 65C Do-All Drag Stack

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Coxe 65C Do-All Drag Stack

Post by Paul Roberts »

I’m in need of the schematic for the Coxe 65C Do-All. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a Coxe schematic of any kind. Did they not issue them? Curious. EDIT: I found a couple, of sorts, under Bronson in the ORCA library. However they are very generalized, not model specific, meant for ordering parts by number only.

This 65C came to me with a drag stack issue, cranking tightening up as the drag tightens. Either a part is missing or the stack is in the wrong order. I’m guessing the latter.

Here’s an image of the stack order as it is. Anyone have a 65C schematic? Or do you have advice as to proper stack arrangement?

Does the location of the two leather washers look right? All metal washers are keyed (don’t rotate). The reel is not free spool but has an AR lever -the ratchet in the stack.
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Coxe 65C Do-All Schematic?

Post by Paul Roberts »

Problem solved. Got some help from Bryan Young over on Alan Tani.

There was indeed a drag washer missing, #6 in the image below, showing the correct order, top to bottom. Once I had the missing washer in place, the rest just had to be lined up: eared washer within gear, and ratchet with AR dog.

One original washer was in good shape, the other two I replaced, cutting from leather. All coated with Shimano drag grease. I also managed to lose the tiniest part in the reel, a pin that is inserted into the gear post. I made another with a piece of baling wire, which was the perfect diameter.

This 65C is in very good condition; Not much wear. It now spins like a top and has a good strong drag. Next up is a Pflueger Rocket that also came in with a similar drag issue.

ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024