Foot thoughts

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Foot thoughts

Post by klonder »

Anybody know whose foot this is? I first thought Union Hardware but theirs is mounted below the pillars. A new one to me. Thanks

klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Foot thoughts

Post by klonder »

Found a cat cut of a reel with the foot on my reel. 1908 Chubb cat pg 70, reel #18. Marked "CLIMAX" on the foot.
Can't post image here as I'm not an adobe guy. Maybe someone who is, will.
I seem to remember Climax being associated with US Net & Twine, later sold to Montague?
EDIT: Ahah! Just found the patent doc for the famous? "Moog" Foot issued to USN&T, which was bought by Montague in 1899. The foot is shown again in the 1904 Monty catalogue. Gettin' closer!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I think that’s the same reel that Shakespeare sold as the “Leader”. It has that same foot and top-hat shaped head plate. Mine is unmarked.
Correction: I’m at the age where I should stop relying on memory! The reel I was thinking of is just called the Shakespeare Treble Multiplying.

Everything on the reel is pure Shakespeare. The click button, phosphor bronze click spring, screw heads, crank collar, crank arm, handle, and nut. Only the foot is unique to Shakespeare as far as I know.
Last edited by Eric J on Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Well there it is!! Thank you sir.
Although my reel is not a Shaker "Leader", it is a Shaker "Treble Multiplying" reel No.22134, 60yd, 2"dia with a 1-1/2' wide spool, 1-5/8' pillars and, of course, the Moog foot as show in the Shaker 1912 cat. The only dif is the handle.
I never would have thought to look at Shakespeare, considering the Moog foot history.
Looks like Shakespeare bought the rights or the patent from Monty, assuming the patent came to Monty via the purchase of USN&T??
This is fun!!

Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Interesting that yours has a Marhoff Reel Company style crank collar and mine has the the typical Shakespeare collar.
Maybe Shakespeare bought the rights and machinery to make them?
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Just by chance I was looking at my Kalamazoo Tackle Company Surprise fly reel, and it has a Moog foot! The similar Shakespeare Featherweight skeleton reels are identical except for the foot.
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Eric J wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:21 pm Interesting that yours has a Marhoff Reel Company style crank collar and mine has the the typical Shakespeare collar.
Maybe Shakespeare bought the rights and machinery to make them?
Interesting observation. My eye isn't nearly as practiced yet. Actually didn't know what that bit was called.
Just started looking at Shakespeare and the Moog foot. I'm assuming that an "expired" patent is at work here?
Can you date the Kalamazoo ?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

1897 ad:

The patent would have expired in August, 1911.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."