Poll: should this reel be cleaned?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!

Should the tarnish on these screws and pillars be cleaned to match the other two Jack Welch reels?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:12 am

Yes, clean the tarnish on the German silver parts to match the others
69%
No, leave the reel as found
31%

Total votes: 13

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Poll: should this reel be cleaned?

Post by Mike N »

I picked up another non-level wind Jack Welch tournament reel from a Florida collector. See middle reel in photos. Because it has been exposed to salt air, the German silver parts (screws, pillars and foot) have all tarnished to a dull brown. I tend to distinguish between normal age patina and the harsher salt air oxidation of reel parts. It does not match the other two. I would like the reel to display nicely with the others and I am considering cleaning the tarnish. I appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by Mike N on Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Poll: should this reel be cleaned?

Post by john elder »

Let me think, yes.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I don't think the reel was exposed to salt air. The copper oxide on the German silver is due to humidity. If salt were involved, the copper color would be more green and the aluminum end plates wouldn't be nice and shiny. That's what I think.

By the way, asking John if a reel needs cleaning is like asking a surgeon if he needs to operate. 8)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Standing alone, representing its former life in high humidity/salty Fl, leave it be. But displayed with others representing the model, clean it up. My 2cents.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The answer is pretty simple, actually. If you had owned that reel from the get-go would you have put it away in that condition or would you have cleaned it up good first?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's an aluminum and German silver reel with similar conditions. I would never clean this reel. I love the contrast.

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I do think you have to handle a pre-1900 reel differently than a 1950's reel. I think the Jack Welch tournament series is best shown in its comparatively modern state.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I agree, Ron re your reel. I wouldn’t touch it either. Nice consistent brass patina!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member