2023 National Convention and Show - Bolton Landing, NY

Get the latest on this year's upcoming convention or read about last year's
kyreels
Super Board Poster

2023 National Convention and Show - Bolton Landing, NY

Post by kyreels »

The Old Reel Collector’s Association will hold its 2023 National Show and Convention at the Blue Water Manor resort in Bolton Landing, NY from September 18-21, 2023. The ORCA convention features activities for members and their families including fishing, casting tournaments, room trading, wine and reels showcase, member awards banquet, and a special tour of the American Museum of Fly Fishing. The show will also include vintage and antique fishing reel exhibits, and a showroom sale of old reels. This is the premier antique fishing reel show in the US so we look forward to your attendance.

The host hotel and resort is the Blue Water Manor, 4436 Lake Shore Drive, Bolton Landing, NY 12814, (518) 644-2535. The convention room rate is available for ORCA Members for $120 per night plus tax. The room rate includes breakfast. You must make reservations directly with the hotel.

To register for the convention and get the latest information, see the 2023 ORCA Convention page at https://www.orcaonline.org/2023-orca-na ... anding-ny/

You can register for the convention and all activities using the ORCA store at https://www.orcaonline.org/product-cate ... onvention/
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RandyAnderson
Frequent Board Poster

Re: 2023 National Convention and Show - Rooms

Post by RandyAnderson »

Made our reservations yesterday and the rooms are going fast. Book your room soon to be assured of being in host facility. Just a word to the wise. Henry is putting together the show of shows, you don't want to miss it.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: 2023 National Convention and Show - Bolton Landing, NY

Post by Mike N »

I am booked, also. Sounds like a great time.

Mike
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

ORCA officers and show hosts have put together a great agenda.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Thanks Mike !!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I found this 2012 article in an old file from our last convention at Lake George… Bedlam in Bolton? Henry should have warned them….

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Having a problem getting a reply from the lodge . Tried 3 times. Left callback messages but zero response.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Its run by a single person, I advise to try in the morning. Let us know if you still have issues.
Matt Wickham
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

There are still a few rooms left for the ORCA National at Bolton Water Landing on Lake George. The convention is shaping up to be one of the best. You still have 7 weeks until the convention, but don't wait. We are getting a few entries every week. Get there on Sunday in order to participate in the AMFF/Orvis Vermont field trip on Monday morning. We will have a bus available at a split fee. I hope to see some new faces and meet everyone there!
Matt Wickham
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

After the tour of the museum on Monday the 18th, I'm recommending a great place just two-tenths of a mile up the road for lunch - a very easy and incredibly short walk. Mulligan's of Manchester has a great bar area, good food, and even an Orvis room that the museum has outfitted with artifacts. The website and menu are here:
https://www.mulligans-vt.com/
I'm going to try and wrap up the tour around 11:45 to give everyone time to grab a bite and walk back to see the Orvis flagship store, which is right next door to the museum (you won't believe the size of the trout swimming around the ponds they maintain!). Or, a bit further down the marble sidewalk is the Orvis outlet store. All this can happen before the bus leaves for the return trip to Blue Water Manor.

And of course, for those driving themselves, there are a number of outlet stores in Manchester and lots of places to grab lunch if Mulligan's is not your style.

Hope to see you all at the museum!
Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Hey Jim,

Does the tour start at 9, or does the bus leave at 9?

I'm driving to the museum from home, so makes a difference.

Thanks !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Dean,

The bus will leave Blue Water Manor at 9 am, and should arrive at the museum around 10:30 - 10:45 am.

Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks Jim !

I'm driving up with Ed Pritchard. We'll see you at the museum at 10:30 or so.

Looking forward to it !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

2023 Convention Attendees,
Here is the current "preliminary" schedule for the Convention which shows the Banquet on Thursday evening. Henry and Jim are still working on some of the details and I will post an updated schedule as more information is received.

It would assist a great deal if those planning to attend will go ahead and register by mail or online (via the Store) so we can plan and prepare accordingly. Until we get a cart item for the bus ride from Blue Water Manor to AMFF, send me a message about whether you plan to take the bus or self-drive to AMFF for the tour.

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Registered through the store and it was super simple! Great layout, guys… nice job!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Here is the latest updated schedule as of Aug 21. We may still have some minor changes before the show so thank you for your patience.

Please go ahead and register in advance to aid planning and organization, either via the Store or via mail-in registration. We now have a bus reserved for the trip to and from the BWM resort to the AMFF Museum and there is plenty of room on the bus for those who want to travel in comfort for sightseeing without you having to drive 1.5 hours each way. When you register for the Convention and sign up for the AMFF tour, send me your name and headcount for the bus ride. There will be a reasonable cost, to be determined, for the bus riders and we will add a cart item to the Store soon and encourage payment in advance.

I am also including a list of reels from the estate of Bob Haynes to be auctioned off on Wednesday afternoon. Please note ORCA Convention Auctions (except silent auction) include buyer's premium of 10%.

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Convention attendees,
I added two more products to the Store under 2023 Convention for those of you who prefer to pay online.

* ORCA now has a coach booked for the ride between Bolton Landing, NY and the AMFF in Manchester, VT. It's an estimated 90-minute drive each way. If you prefer to ride in comfort rather than self-drive, sign up for the bus fare. $45 per rider which already includes driver gratuity.

* ORCA was advised the Banquet cost will have a service fee applied. We have updated the Banquet in the Store to $60, but asking anyone who registered and paid for the $50 Banquet before August 26 to select the $10 Additional Banquet fee. Again ONLY early registrants need to pay this $10. Apologies for this inconvenience.

These amounts can also be paid via mail or paid at the Show Registration Table.

Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Alright - A Party Bus.
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

For those who plan to participate in the Fishing Tournament which is the first activity on Tuesday morning or fish during their stay for the convention, there is a fishing license requirement for New York, and 1 day and 7 day licenses are available. https://www.lakegeorge.com/guides/fishing/license-info/

Henry is preparing a few extra rods and reels for use by those who cannot bring their own.

David Lehmann has advised that anyone bringing their own boat to Lake George must register their boat with the Lake George Park Commission and display their registration sticker while boating on the lake. David mentioned it takes a few days to receive the permit so plan ahead. https://www.lakegeorge.com/boating/how- ... t-sticker/
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

I received this Property Map from BWM and I included some text relative to the meeting place near the BWM Office for boarding the bus to AMFF, and for the Grill Room (next to Tavern) where some activities will take place. TIP: Pull the image of the map up on your phone and take a screenshot to have quick access while at the show.

Last edited by kyreels on Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct image position
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

This looks like it will be a GREAT show. I was there the last time we met at Lake George, but unfortunately will not be able to make it this year (daughter scheduled for operation)