The quest for 16 sizes - Shakespeare non-level winds

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

The quest for 16 sizes - Shakespeare non-level winds

Post by NJFisherman »

Here's a survey question: Does anyone have the 16 sizes of any of these six early Shakespeare reels? They include the Criterion, Precision, Service, Intrinsic, and Standard Professional. Does anyone have more than 10? If so I'd like to hear how many and how long it took you to accumulate them. Of course, they made them with the foot stamped 1910, 1912, 1914 etc. so getting them all in the same year would be even more incredible. Unfortunately my late start (in 2020) has me at no more than 6 of any one model. I have Criterion models 42640, 22640, 22140, 13040, 23040 and 43040.
Dave Lucas
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: The quest for 16 sizes - Shakespeare non-level winds

Post by kyreels »

I saw ORCA Member Jim Sheek's collection of the early NLW reels grow over a 10 year period. I don't think he included the Criterion. The smaller sizes are the hardest of course. I think the speed question is mostly related to how close you can get to a collector that wants to move some. One of the great things about our association is being able to do that.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Matt - thanks for the response. Frankly my personal quest is beside the point. I was hoping to find other serious Shakespeare collectors out there. I recall Steve Vernon attempting to use this forum to do research on ball handle reels several years ago. I provided him several photos of my ball handles but apparently there were so few responses he gave up. Too bad - I guess that's just the way it is. In the meantime if you read this and collect Shakespeare reels, drop me a PM (or an email - I'm in the book) - I may have something that will interest you.
Dave Lucas
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

I have been collecting The Shake Perfect reels for over 15 years. Your did not mention it in your querie. This German Silver reel made like the Intrinsics is also German Silver and was made in 16 different sizes also. I have 10 different sizes and most are the 1910 version. I did have 11 but sold my 40 yd one awhile back.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Good catch Bill... and thank you! I sent you a note to confirm which models you have - check your junk mail. I have the pictures but cannot find the model numbers.
Dave Lucas