New appreciation for a lowly old reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

New appreciation for a lowly old reel

Post by Eric J »

I’ve had this Shakespeare Service No. 2L in my collection for a long time. I can’t remember where it came from, and I’ve just ignored it as one of the cheap grade Shakespeare’s until yesterday even though I knew it was a “pre-1910”.
A look through my catalogs confirms it is a 1902 because of the heavy bright nickel plating as described in the catalog. The 1903 Service reels are described as having a “contrasting” nickel finish which have the satin brushed swirl effect on the faceplate and back contrasted with the bright shiny nickel on the edge, pillars, handle, and screws.
Most early Shakespeare’s that have the click button on the backplate also show the two screw holes opposite the click button where the click spring attaches, but not on these Service reels. So…I had to open it up.
What I found was a unique set of three spring holding pins that I cannot find a patent for. The closest I can find is the Hendryx 478,326 patent. I’ll never look down on that reel again and have given it the proper spot next to my Rubber Standard.

Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: New appreciation for a lowly old reel

Post by Paul Roberts »

That’s kindof cool. Neat, elegant, idea.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I agree and i wish more makers would have used that clicker spring! I’ve had to fix so many screwed or riveted click springs and they can be a pain and certainly more work than necessary, when you see one like this! I will have to keep this one in mind.

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The Meisselbach Expert (1896) had a click spring anchored similarly, tho the wire was thinner.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."