Heddon 3-30 with double jewels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Heddon 3-30 with double jewels

Post by Reelman2 »

I recently purchased a nice Heddon 3-30 Tournament reel. While talking to David Lehmann at the St. Augustine show he asked me if it had double jewels. Since I had not opened the reel yet I did not know. After thinking about it, I wondered if he was actually thinking of Talbot reels as I had never heard of double jewels in a Heddon reel since the end caps don't unscrew. He later assured me that indeed it was a Heddon reel he was speaking of. He sent me a page from a Heddon catalog that listed the 3-24 and 3-30. One of the listings was for double jewels. The 2nd jewel is apparently inside the reel with a hole in the middle for the shaft to go through. If some one has a picture of such a reel and would share it on here that shows the inside of the reel I would be appreciative.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Heddon 3-30 with double jewels

Post by kyreels »

Just curious why you would not open and photograph?
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

No need for pics, might doesn't have the extra jewels. That is why I want pics of one that does.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's some photos of Milam & Son No. 3 reel showing the journal bearing jewel.

David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Bill,
Think of the jewels like ball bearings, because they are forming the same purpose. One set of jewels is on the spool bearings and one set is on top of the spool bearings. BTW, Shakespeare also advertised double jeweled reels early on, although I haven't yet identified one.