Medalist 1492 Conversion

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Medalist 1492 Conversion

Post by oldsaltnfla »

How difficult would it be to convert a Medalist 1492 from RHW to LHW and what would be involved?
Joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Medalist 1492 Conversion

Post by john elder »

You just have to flip the AR gear over, which is easier on later models that accommodate a lip in the edge of the gear. The click will, of course, change, since the number of teeth on the AR gear side varies from tooth number on clicker side.

I will try to do a pictorial at first of week.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Maybe old age has set in but having had three 1492's I don't recall them having an "AR" which I presume stands for "anti-reverse" All I have used (unlike 1494's etc) have had a simple click setting that can be turned off but functions in both directions. Tell me I haven't lost my mind John--LOL
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You are absolutely right, Bill! I was thinking of 1494 rather than 1492. Joe, what kind of line guide does your 1492 have? If its an early round line guide reel, you don’t want to alter it, since they have good collector value. To move the small square guide may require addition of mounting holes on the opposite side.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

John, the line guide is the small square one. I can drill new holes for it with no problems.
Joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Good, given that reel is just click pawl style, Bill and I both figure that moving the guide should be all that is required to switch handedness. There is likely some bias in the click between reeling in and out, which can generally be altered by playing with spring tension.

Good luck!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks John. I got the reel working perfectly in LHW mode. It just won't have a line guide, but you don't really need one anyway.
Joe