Help with Herter's books

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Help with Herter's books

Post by colby sorrells »

Does anyone have a copy of either

Professional Split-Bamboo Rod Building Manual and Manufacturer's Guide or

Secret Fresh and Salt Water Fishing Tricks of the World's Fifty Best Professional Fishermen

by George Leonard Herter?

I need a scan of a page. Help greatly appreciated.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Help with Herter's books

Post by Eric J »

Let me know what pages you need.
Keep in mind when reading Herter’s books that he was one of the greatest self-promoters in the industry and tended to exaggerate a lot. But they are still packed with great info. He even did a book on moonshining.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I had, may still have, a two-volume “professional outfitters guide book” by Jacques Herter that was… hilarious to read. The “marsh shoes” killed me: a pair of small canoes for your feet. He also suggested that spitting into the mouth of an attacking lion or bear would “…cause the attack to cease immediately.” I wonder if anyone ever got to test that one out. Or the marsh shoes for that matter. I probably still have them as I just couldn’t part with them for their downright silliness and sheer audacity. I can only assume that Jacques was the crazy cousin. Or, he may just know some things that… no one else has ever thought to try.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Got what I needed. Thanks to all. CS