Custom tournament size leather reel cases

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Custom tournament size leather reel cases

Post by Mike N »

I commissioned my brother-in-law, who is a talented leather craft hobbyist (holsters etc) to make me 5 custom leather cases for my best vintage tournament reels.

First, he did a plain mock-up prototype without tooling or buckle or stain just to see how the tournament reels fit.

The last photo he sent to me today of the post-tooling work, before final antiquing and sewing. More later.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Custom tournament size leather reel cases

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Be careful, Mike. Leather cases can promote nasty chemical reactions (verdigris) on old reels.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks for the warning. I’ve collected reels for quite a while and had probably 40 leather travel cases and never had a problem. I clean my reels regularly and usually keep them in glass display cases at home. The finest reels like Kovalovsky and Edward Vom Hofe are synonymous with fine leather cases. I like that combination, frankly.

We are thinking about adding a felt or lambswool lining like the fly reel case he made me previously. See photos below first posted last July.

I hear the same concerns about putting plastic tubing on my lure hooks; then I get stabbed by a barbed hook or have them get entangled in my display case cloth lining, and out comes the plastic tubing.

I have no problem if someone wants to travel with their reels in an old cotton sock or Crown Royal bag, but I feel these gems deserve better carriage.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Another option for a liner is pool table felt like Talbot used.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

My brother-in-law brought me 10 custom made reel cases this evening, 5 for me and 5 for me to offer at the April 28-29 NFLCC Weirton meet ($45). Each is a bit different and each is separately lined in leather to prevent the metal snap inside from possibly touching a reel. They remind me of the pre-WW II era, when hand craftsmanship was the standard.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Those are some real nice leather cases. I really like the leather embossing on them. Each one looks different and worthy to hold your tournament reels.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Those finished out nicely. They are better than any factory case I have, and I have a bunch. Love the lighter shades and the designs. Your brother-in-law is a great leathersmith.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Man, those are beautiful, Mike! What an artist! That’s something i long ago decided to leave to others with a talent for it! Congrats!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Your brother-in-law does nice work !

Thanks for sharing those, Mike.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks. I’m sure Jerry appreciates the comments. I received some inquiries, so he authorized me to offer 5 for sale before the NFLCC Show. I I listed them above on or our ORCA “for sale” thread.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990