Hurd Super Caster Drag Button

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Hurd Super Caster Drag Button

Post by Stunt Fisher »

I've got my Hurd Super Caster reel open and cannot tell what the drag button is supposed to do. It appears that the button pushes a spring wire out away from the spool, but I don't think the wire really touches anything when engaged or disengaged. If that makes sense.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hurd Super Caster? I searched the forum for discussion, but I didn't find much on the drag system. I tried to download and read the two pdf's available, but the box insert pdf showed up as 8 blank pages.

Any information on this reel will be greatly appreciated. For what it's worth, the SN is 69107.

Thanks in advance!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Hurd Super Caster Drag Button

Post by kyreels »

I was able to view both Hurd Lock documents in the library. They are not blank. Try the new Members Only Library List view.

The drag is just a backlash spool drag. There is no auxiliary drag when not casting. The spool bearing screws are tightened to place resistance to the spindle/spool. There is no schematic in the documents to indicate a spring, but one may be present.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Hurd Super Caster Drag Button

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Thanks Matt, I was able to download both documents to my phone, then emailed them to my computer. Not sure what happened there.
I looked at the reel and the drag button again. The reel turns very smoothly. I adjusted the thumb button and bearing end cap, as per the directions. I spun the crank a few times then made gradual, and then, dramatic adjustments to both the thumb button and bearing end cap. The only difference I notice is when the bearing end cap is tight or loose.
I'm pretty sure there aren't any parts missing or broken in the reel. I guess this isn't a huge deal, as the reel will only sit on my shelf, but I like to have the reels I display all in working condition.
Thanks again.