conolon live fiber holiday 204-L and heddon pal spook #1 deluxe rods

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

conolon live fiber holiday 204-L and heddon pal spook #1 deluxe rods

Post by seruga »

I purchased 5 rods recently from a local auction house. There were 2 unmarked NARMCO spinning rods, 1 Lee of Redditch bamboo spinning rod, 1 Heddon pal spook #1 deulxe casting rod and 1 Conolon live fiber Holiday 204-L casting rod. All 5 rods are in pristine collectible condition. The previous collector took exceptional care of the rods.
My question is about the Conolon Holiday 204-L rod. I have been unable to find any information about this particular model. Any information you can share would be appreciated.
I have attached photos of the rod. Just for fun I also posted photos of the Heddon. The P-41 and Summit reels are from my collection. They seemed appropriate period reels to attach to these rods.
Now I am on the lookout for a P-41L to go along with the Spook. It would look terrific on the rod. The gold plated guides, black windings, and black handle would look nice with the gold trim of the P-41L.
I also posted a picture of the Egret that decided to join me for the photo shoot.
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Re: conolon live fiber holiday 204-L and heddon pal spook #1 deluxe rods

Post by seruga »

forgot to attach the images

Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

The Narmco Conolon Holiday dates to 1949. The decal changed from square to oval at that time and Live Fiber got the registered trademark symbol instead of an asterisk. It’s a beauty (so are the others) and a fine example of early glass.
The Heddon #1 was the most expensive in their line at $25 in 1952. Catalog says it has gold plated guides and fittings.
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

ORCANS,

Well, you know me, always happy to share Trademarks.

Happy Spring,

Alan

seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

thank you for the information. Having a date and history with the rod is useful. I had previously found some details on the spook and it appears that the conolon and spook are from around the same time. This model spook was made between 1952 and 1958. The information you supplieId places them both from the same period. Thank you!
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Seruga,

Vic Johnson, noted fishing rod author (one of which is "Fiberglass Fly Rods") devotes 8 pages of his book to Glenn Havens and NARMCO.

The book can be ordered at:
EP PRESS
P. O. Box 3157
Vallejo, CA 94590

or contact Vic at: www.engineeringpathways.com/

Alan
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

thank you Alan. I have sent him an email.
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

I was able to reach Vic Johnson. I purchased his original book and also the 20 year anniversary edition. He only had two copies of the original left so the timing was good.
He recently donated his writings to the Trout and Salmonid collection housed at the Montana State University Merrill G. Burlingame library. He sent me two PDF documents discussing the library and the event. I can privately email anyone copies of the documents if you are interested.
Thank you again for the terrific information. I look forward to reading Vic's books. He seems like a fantastic guy.

Chris
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Seruga,

Vic and Nancy have fished all over the globe. Truth be known, Nancy is the fish killing machine of that marriage.

You will see some pics of her prowess when you get the book.

Enjoy,
Alan