It's April in NY - That Means Trout

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

It's April in NY - That Means Trout

Post by Low Profile »

A couple of pics since the traditional April 1st opening day trout 2023

I finished the final varnish coat on a recent bamboo spin rod build last week and finally got it out for a test ride. Took a roached out middle grade fly rod and converted to a spin rod. Strapped on a Martin badged Luxor for the inaugural trip. Outfit performed quite nice and was rewarded with a nice wild mountain stream brown.

I wish I could say the other pic was with vintage gear but can't. My biggest finger lakes tributary spring rainbow to date.

Tx, Low Profile

Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: It's April in NY - That Means Trout

Post by Paul Roberts »

Very nice!… fish and outfits. Those FL bows sure are pretty. What was the brown caught on?

I have a Luxor A in nice cosmetic shape. But the gears are badly worn. :(
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Very nice! Where in the Fingerlakes are you going? My area (Ithaca) is almost all stocks and they stopped stocking before April when they changed the regulations two years ago. You can still go in and around Cayuga lake and catch some landlocked fish, but have to travel otherwise.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Spade,

Haha that rainbow was taken right in the City of Ithaca. I fish all the tribs dumping into Cayuga in the city and they are all loaded with big lake run bows right now. I don't live in Ithaca but there's also lots of good inland wild brown and brook trout water within a short drive. It's been out of print for some time but if you can snag a copy of Sanders Fishing Guide 2 Finger Lakes Region Edition it is a great resource.

Low Profile
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Agreed, in and around the lake is a great spot for nice rainbows. I’ll have to check my bookshelf, but I might have that book already. They have dramatically changed things since it was printed but I might look closer at spots for natural pops. Funny thing is, it mentions they used to stock Mud Creek, which flows right through my backyard! No fish sighted in 4 years though…

I guess I should qualify by saying I am an average fisherman at best and can usually only fish at a moments notice for short lengths of time. That limits my success by a great margin!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice fish...and thick! Actually cheated and went out the day before...too much going on on the 1st. 1 managed 4 fish within 80 minutes...just wished the water was a bit deeper. 2 fish were over 15" while the small just under limit but always return them unless camping or looking to prove a point. At my age all points have been proven... Tight lines Nick n NY Holzman/big game reel collector
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!