pillar retaining springs

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

pillar retaining springs

Post by mark bumgarner »

Removed the foot from a 3700 Silver Princess and plan to use it as a replacement on a 4900 Sport Pal. The removal was easy enough but just before I break down the Sport Pal I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips on reinstalling the pillar retaining springs. Appreciative of any advice.
Also wondering if any cautions or advice on cleaning satin finish chrome, ("Silverlite") , on Sport Pal reel. Is it the same as cleaning polished chrome finishes?

Thanks
Bummy
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Re: pillar retaining springs

Post by mark bumgarner »

Well I found a way to get the springs back on. I put the pillar screw thru the spring then tightened the screw down on the pillar, the head of the screw forced the round spring over the pillar edge then I used an ultra small screwdriver to slide the spring down into the slot. This proved to be fairly easy on all 4. May be better way but if you are a newby like me this worked well !
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Glad you got it, Mark! Frankly, i can’t picture what’s going on with a “ pillar spring”? Bronson Silver Princess? If you have a pic or two, would love to see. I have owned a couple, but guess i never had cause tk open them.

From the sound of it, they must have put a spring on each pillar screw inside the face plate? That’s not the norm amongst baitcasting reels and i’m trying to envision why they bothered?

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

My photos are not the best but hope they help.

At the tip of the screwdriver you hopefully can see the grove in the pillar.

After the frame plate is slid over the pillar the spring is installed in the grove to secure the frame plate in position.

After all four springs are installed on the foot pillars and frame pillars the frame is surprisingly stable.
Next you install the bakelite headplate spacer and faceplate.
I assume this reduced pressure on the bakelite to minimize cracks? It appears to been design choice in several Bronson reel models employing the bakelite spacers. The springs are to darn small for my fingers, but the process of using the screw to force the spring over the pillar end works well.
Here is a photo of the upgraded Bronson Sport Pal, it is my understanding this does not have to be identified as restored as the parts replaced were identical for the Silver Princess and Sport Pal.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I would consider that more of a retaining clip than a spring. More or less an early version of a C or E clip.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Respect your assessment Tom, but I can tell you it will not, or I could not slip it into the grove from the side like a clip would, and I tried several to the 10 power times. I also would not have thought of it as a spring , however the Bronson reel parts breakdown in the 1931 catalog refers to it as item #3642 Pillar Retaining Spring. Whatever you call them they are tough little buggers, I can't believe I didn't damage or lose one in the process.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, that explains why i couldn’t envision a spring. Like Tom, i would call that a clip… So tight you had to pull it on with the screw! I guess turning that channel into the pillar would be easier than turning down both ends.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

When you say " turning down both ends " what exactly does that mean? I am about a 7.5 on mechanical and a 1 as a machinist . My guess would be to thread the pillar inside and out? You will have to learn me something here.l